A rally of white supremacists chanting ‘You will not replace us’ gathered in Charlottesville, VA

It took place immediately down the street from UVA

Around 9 pm Saturday evening, a large crowd of protesters with torches gathered at Lee Park in Charlottesville, Virginia, chanting “You will not replace us,” “Russia is our friend” and “Blood and soil.”

Richard Spencer, UVA grad, and self proclaimed white nationalist, wrote about tonight’s events at the statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Twitter photos show him holding a torch in an unidentified location.

This protest happened in the wake of the decision to to relocate the statue of Lee, after members of the community claimed it was culturally offensive and a symbol of white supremacy.

Police arrived this evening following an altercation between protesters, and the crowd dispersed, according to reports.

Here is the statement from Charlottesville Mayor, Mike Singer, regarding tonight:

“This event involving torches at night in Lee Park was either profoundly ignorant or was designed to instill fear in our minority populations in a way that hearkens back to the days of the KKK. Either way, as mayor of this City, I want everyone to know this: we reject this intimidation. We are a Welcoming City, but such intolerance is not welcome here.”