Trump stooped to a new low in attacking ‘unstable Hillary’

He called her ‘a horrible, horrible human being’

The conventions are over. The stage is set. In November, the next President of the United States will be either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump. Unfortunately, there’s no turning back now. The start of the presidential campaigns brought about a depressing sense of deja vu: Donald Trump saying something controversial, the latest of which was aimed at Hillary.

At a rally in New Hampshire this weekend, Trump continually questioned Hillary’s mental state in a 57-minute speech. Bouncing off of Hillary’s statement that she might have “short-circuited” when trying to clarify statements she made about her email server, Trump’s awkward, and seemingly misogynistic rant focused on how “totally unbalanced” and “totally unhinged” Hillary is.

Accompanying the name-calling was a lengthy fact-check of Hillary’s statements surrounding her email server. Ironic, considering The Donald has been quite liberal with the truth on the campaign trail…

These attacks come after new polls saw Hillary regain her strong national lead last week. Unsurprisingly, Trump’s response seems to involve reigniting his supporters’ rage instead of coming off as more presidential and concentrating on issues of policy. After the Islamophobic undertone to his spat with the Khan family following the DNC, Trump then tried to legitimize his candidacy by calling Hillary names and discrediting her mental abilities, highlighting the misogyny and ableism at the roots of the Trump campaign.

The irony of Trump’s name-calling is baffling. After blasting Hillary as “a horrible, horrible human being,” he proceeded to say “she lacks the judgment, temperament and moral character to lead this country.” Interesting coming from a man who said that he could kill someone and not only get away with it, but also rise in the polls…

Trump’s bully politics have served him well up to this point, and his populist appeal cannot be ignored. His antics are often taken for granted, his controversies are seen as the norm.

But we cannot turn a blind eye to the circus that is Donald Trump and his baby-hands. What is left of American democracy hangs in the balance.