I tried to replicate popular Instagram photos

Let’s just say the struggle was real

My friend MaKayla and I tried to recreate some popular photos we’ve seen on Instagram. Let’s just say there was a lot of falling and laughter involved. You definitely need patience and creativity to figure out how to replicate the photo in the most accurate way.

We chose some dance photos and some sorority photos to recreate. We mainly focused on the poses, not the scenery, because it’s hard to find mountains when you’re at the beach, your clothes are different or the time of day is different.

First is the picture we chose and then our attempt at replicating it. If you get anything out of our experience, I hope you get some laughs.

Confidence booster

We decided to start with this photo because we knew we could easily do it. This helped set our mood and our hopes of success.

Featuring @regiina_sb

A photo posted by TᗯO ᑭEᖇᔕOᑎ ᔕTᑌᑎTᔕ? (@2personstunts) on Feb 17, 2015 at 6:54am PST

Our version

Acro yoga move: downward dog and hand stand

This one was really interesting because we couldn’t figure out how to get into it. We started with MaKayla in downward dog and then I would hand stand and slowly arch my back to land on her, but it just ended up with me landing on the floor multiple times. Eventually, we decided I should do the handstand first and then MaKayla leaned against me and went into downward dog. We did not get the move quite like it was supposed to be, but I think it turned out pretty cool.

Original pic

First attempt and failure

Success! Kind of…

Infinity handstand

We decided to do this move against our old high school’s matted wall in the gym. The process was quite interesting because we couldn’t find each other’s feet once we got into the handstand, so we had to have another friend tell us how to move our feet so they matched. After the struggle was over, it was a pretty simple picture to recreate, especially since you are able to lean against the wall.

Featuring @x_mini_jvr_x ?

A photo posted by TᗯO ᑭEᖇᔕOᑎ ᔕTᑌᑎTᔕ? (@2personstunts) on Dec 10, 2015 at 12:14pm PST

Trying to find each other’s feet

Our version

Seal and handstand

This one was a challenge, so we had to improvise. The first time we tried it, MaKayla ended up landing on me so we decided to change the handstand into a bridge with a leg lift.

Check out @nick.dancer and @anthony.dance ! ❤️

A photo posted by TᗯO ᑭEᖇᔕOᑎ ᔕTᑌᑎTᔕ? (@2personstunts) on Dec 29, 2015 at 8:24am PST

Our failure

Modification

Balance

For this movement, we could not figure out how to get into the move. We ended up using two legs because it was easier on the back, as well as helping with balance. We did not succeed on this one.

Featuring @acroyogaaddicts

A photo posted by TᗯO ᑭEᖇᔕOᑎ ᔕTᑌᑎTᔕ? (@2personstunts) on Apr 3, 2015 at 3:27am PDT

The struggle just keeps happening

Throw what you know in the mountains

My friend and I went up to the mountainous part of North Carolina this past weekend to watch DCI, so we decided to try to capture the mountains while throwing what we know.

Hikes for likes.

A photo posted by Total Sorority Move (@totalsororitymove) on Jul 18, 2016 at 9:37am PDT

My version

Throw what you know at the beach

This one was rather easy to capture because I live at the beach.

University of North Florida | Kappa Alpha Theta @josieemead @unf_theta #regram #kappaalphatheta #theta #sorority #sororitylife #sororitysisters

A photo posted by ⓑⓡⓞⓣⓗⓔⓡⓢ & ⓢⓘⓢⓣⓔⓡⓢ ⓖⓡⓔⓔⓚ ⓢⓣⓞⓡⓔ (@brothers_sisters_greek) on Aug 9, 2016 at 6:29am PDT

My verison

Stag handstand

The hardest part of this one was capturing the moment in which we were at our peak, but I think we got a pretty great shot for the most part.

Featuring @_mary979 & @flippingymnasts

A photo posted by TᗯO ᑭEᖇᔕOᑎ ᔕTᑌᑎTᔕ? (@2personstunts) on Apr 8, 2015 at 7:02pm PDT

Capturing the exact moment was difficult but this works

Bridge heart

The hardest part of this one was trying to figure out whether or not the heart shape was readable, but overall it was pretty easy.

Featuring @_.melodyhug._ ?

A photo posted by TᗯO ᑭEᖇᔕOᑎ ᔕTᑌᑎTᔕ? (@2personstunts) on Dec 5, 2015 at 1:44pm PST

Heart

Splits

Out of all of the dance/acro pictures, this was the easiest because all we had to do was slide down into a split and hold still.

Featuring @dancerlola ?

A photo posted by TᗯO ᑭEᖇᔕOᑎ ᔕTᑌᑎTᔕ? (@2personstunts) on Aug 7, 2015 at 8:44am PDT

Splits for days

Proposal

We did not look at the picture for reference for this photo, so we improvised and did what we thought was right. Even though we got this one completely wrong, we had fun doing it.

Featuring @louise._x_.gym ?

A photo posted by TᗯO ᑭEᖇᔕOᑎ ᔕTᑌᑎTᔕ? (@2personstunts) on Oct 30, 2015 at 1:01pm PDT

We couldn’t remember so we created our own

Art District in Winston-Salem, NC

While roaming around downtown Winston-Salem one evening, we decided to take a picture that represented how we felt at the moment. The picture we used as reference looked like it was taken while they were just having fun, so that’s what we tried to capture.

A photo posted by lydia (@lydiajones7) on Aug 28, 2015 at 6:26pm PDT

Our adventures never end

Overall, if you want to recreate popular Instagram pictures, I suggest having fun with it. Who cares if the picture is exactly like the original one in the end? You’re going to have fun taking the pictures and create some memories that will last a lifetime.