The inside scoop on the newly opened Museum of Ice Cream

Finally, a museum about what really matters

You know how the saying goes: “I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.” Well, when I arrived at the Museum of Ice Cream, there was a lot of screaming. And eating.

The event took place at a pop-up in New York City. Although my ticket was for a 5-6pm showing, there was a line out the door to prevent overcrowding. After about twenty minutes, we were let in to explore the space for ourselves.

The adventure begins.

We were greeted with a smile and a complimentary “scoop of the week” from Blue Marble and Kellogg’s. From July 29th to August 8th, visitors will be given a scoop of vanilla (or was it marshmallow?) ice cream topped with marshmallows and fruit loops. It tastes as good as it sounds.

Yum

Then came the edible ballon station. Here, a sugar balloon is filled with helium and attached to a pink candy cane stick.

The whole space was decorated – from ice cream cone light fixtures to a wall of cones.

It’s lit

Next came our attempt to set a Guinness world record. After a quick run-down of ice cream facts by the Museum’s Brand Ambassador, Ian Edwards, we were instructed to place a scoop of ice cream onto a massive ice cream sundae bowl. By the end of the five-week long event, Edwards hopes to set a new world record for the most amount of ice cream scoops in one bowl.

As Brand Ambassador, Edwards educates visitors on the history of ice cream. Stationed in the appropriately named “Scoop Room,” he bases the museum’s success on the interface between products and people. “The fact that you could actually eat the stuff makes a difference, most of the time you’re not really interacting with the product as much as you are [here].”

The Scoop Room ended with a silk brown curtain that led to the Chocolate Room. Absolutely everything was chocolate themed. There was faux chocolate dripping down walls, a chocolate water fountain surrounded by Dove chocolates, a projection of chocolate waves moving through the room, chocolate colored bean bags and chocolate sprinkles littered across the floor. It felt like we’d been transported to the Willy Wonka Factory and I was Augustus Gloop. However, the Chocolate Room paled in comparison to what came next…

…A pool of sprinkles! It’s pretty self-explanatory.

A definite kodak moment

A Thousand Ways to Die: Sprinkles Edition

Towards the end of the experience came yet another taste test. This one featured a “magical berry” – yes it’s as trippy as it sounds. Basically, this berry inverts your taste buds so that sour foods taste sweet. You had to eat it to believe it. Luckily, you’re given an ice cream cone garnished with two lemon slices. It’s super sweet and tastes like juicy candy!

It was berry delicious

Last, but not least came the playroom! Featuring an ice cream sandwich and ice cream scoop seesaw, you’re bound to act childish.

Yummy. I’m talking about the ice cream sandwich, not the manwich…(;

Sweet.

All in all, the Museum of Ice Cream was a delectable delight. It took about a half hour to get through it all, and that’s only because we took our sweet time in the pool of sprinkles. Then again, who wouldn’t?