You might be from ‘just outside Philly’ if…

‘On the eighth day, God created Wooder ice’

I grew up about twenty miles from Center City in Bucks County, where we finally got a Snapchat filter and I was personally shocked it wasn’t about Sesame Place traffic or a Quaker.

When I first started at Penn State University five years ago, I quickly learned that everyone was from “just outside Philly,” which could mean a variety of places relative to the city. Even Penn State was “just outside of Philly” – or about three hours away, anyway.

Perhaps you can see the giant flash drive that is the Comcast Center protruding from the Philly skyline outside your window, or you have an hour commute via SEPTA.

Whether you hail from West Chester, DelCo, the Main Line, Bucks County or another suburb, here are some signs that your home was “just outside” the City of Brotherly Love.

The longest relationship you’ve been in is with Wawa

“Hoagiefest” tops your list of favorite holidays, and no matter what time of day it is, you can count on Wawa to have the snacks you need (or don’t need).

You are well aware of the great Pennsylvania War, which divides families between Wawa and its made-to-order counterpart, Sheetz. You take a defensive stand on this issue.

You know our sports teams aren’t the best, but we’re still the loudest and proudest

Whether you are a diehard Philly sports fan or you just want us to win so you get your free Dunkin on Mondays, we love our teams and we love to challenge everyone else– New York, Dallas, Pittsburgh, New England.

It’s not Christmas without a trip to Longwood Gardens or Peddler’s Village 

Everyone knows these are the best places to go to feel in the festive spirit.

You have your own idea of what a Philly Cheesesteak entails 

And you know it’s not when you see those words emblazoned on a stand while visiting your grandparents in New York, or a hotel menu in Florida.

On the eighth day, God created ‘Wooder ice’

And Tastykakes. And Philly soft pretzels.

Summer means going ‘down the shore’

Family vacations mean going to the Jersey Shore for a week (or if you’re lucky enough, for the summer).

Boardwalks, mini-golf, and beach bars give you life. You have a beach that holds a special place in your heart– whether it’s Sea Isle City, Wildwood, Avalon, or Ocean City– and a favorite beach pizza spot. For instance, Mack & Manco will always be Mack & Manco to me.

And you know the Jersey Shore is nothing like the TV show 

Chances are, one of your naive friends who has not had the good fortune of going to the Jersey Shore every summer has made the horrifying mistake of asking you about Snooki and JWoww’s latest escapades.

It saddens me that when you Google, “Jersey Shore,” the first thing that comes up is the spray-tanned, hair poofed Guido posse that so briefly graced the MTV reality world. Suggested searches? Ed Hardy.

You know the entire Fresh Prince theme song by heart

And you either embrace it every time you hear it, or it makes your ears bleed.

‘Going out’ means the bar at TGI Friday’s or On the Border

Unless you make the trip into the city, there aren’t a ton of places in the suburbs to have a big night out.

Odds on how many people you’ll see from your high school there, or even worse– how many may be your server?

You or someone in your immediate family went to Penn State

WE ARE… everywhere!

You have gotten lost in the King of Prussia Mall

You needed a rescue squad or the GPS on your phone to find your way out.

The best thing about the Philadelphia Airport is Chickie’s and Pete’s

The PHL airport is known for weather delays, unnecessary distances between terminals, and long lines plagued by snarky TSA workers.

If traveling has you down, treat yo self with a big container of crab fries– the cure for everything.

You had school field trips to see the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and Franklin Institute 

People come from all over the world to see the astounding historical landmarks but you’ve seen them every year from K through 5th, and have tossed a penny on Ben Franklin’s grave in Christ Church Burial Ground.

Pretty Little Liars raises a lot of questions 

Not only does the show name drop places like Yardley, Allentown, and the Bucks County Community College, but it makes us all question how there could actually be a squad of black hoodie clad murderers running around the Philly suburbs.

The infamous “A” kidnapped its victims and held them in Tyler State Park, a real park in Newtown, PA.

The girls also dress with no regard for the weather in a state with four prominent seasons.

The last place you want to drive is the Boulevard 

You are still traumatized from when your parents or driving instructor took you to the Roosevelt Boulevard to teach you how to drive.

You know Halloween means Eastern State Penitentiary, Valley of Fear, and Pennhurst Asylum 

Philadelphia has plenty of haunted history on its own, but as a teen you and your friends went to local Halloween attractions to get your share of fright.

Years later, we have different fears– like commitment. And Donald Trump.

You took high school prom pictures in Philly’s Love Park 

You may get married several times, but you probably only had one senior prom where you got to feel like royalty.

Don’t you miss taking awkward prom pose photos in front of this iconic Philly landmark with your date whom you may have been pretending didn’t exist until just now?

You’ve tailgated for summer concerts

From Festival Pier and the different sporting arenas to the lawn at the BB&T, there is nothing like an outdoor concert in the summer. You just can’t keep track of the venues’ names, which change faster than Taylor Swift’s haircut these days.