We asked part-Native Americans if they care about Elizabeth Warren’s heritage

She claims she’s 1/32nd Cherokee

“Professor Warren claimed that she was a Native American, a person of color, and as you can see, she’s not,” said Scott Brown about controversial Democrat Elizabeth Warren in a 2012 debate.

In 2016 Senator Elizabeth Warren’s heritage has become a point of contention again. Warren claims she has 1/32nd Cherokee blood but this has been pretty widely disputed, and as a result she has been subject to a number of racially charged attacks by Trump and his supporters. 

Warren could well be Native America, especially with such a large population in Oklahoma. It’s difficult to prove fractional heritage and genealogy as a field is also blurry. A senior genealogist claimed Warren’s great-great-great-grandmother was Cherokee but it turned out he was referencing a quote by an amateur genealogist in an obscure family history research newsletter, and the claim was revoked.

Warren listed herself as a minority in the Association of American Law Schools Faculty Directory,  but wasn’t interested in minority groups at Rutgers, and staff claimed heritage didn’t have a play in her Harvard Law career. She wasn’t touted as their first Native American hire, but Mike Chmura did mention Warren as Native in response to complaints of lack of diversity.

This is all very confusing, so we spoke to people with part-Native blood about whether it really matters.

Hannah Starke, 18, rising sophomore, NYU

Tell me about your heritage?

My mom is Native on her paternal side. I look like my Scandinavian dad. I don’t really talk about my Native heritage because, firstly, white people love to lie about being Native, I’m white passing, and my grandfather, who was born to a Native mother didn’t grow up with the culture at all.

I hold a similar narrative to Warren. I’m tired of feeling like I have to “prove” my background. I am a bit inclined to believe Warren.

What do you think of Trump’s comments?

The Pocahontas comment is absurd. Of course he would choose a Disney-fied Native woman to represent a diverse group of people.

It’s kind of random for Warren to bring up her heritage. If she used it to talk about issues, that would be better. It’s fishy that she was listed as a minority in a university directory. She benefits from white privilege. I doubt she’s experienced racism before Trump. I’ve never experienced racism due to the fact that I’m white passing. I’ve watched my mother (the least white passing of her siblings) experience racism so that’s had a little impact.

Faith Huddleston, 20, rising sophomore, George Mason

Tell me about your heritage

Based on my grandfather’s information, I would be around 30-40% Cherokee.

How do you feel about Warren allegedly faking her heritage?

You should be sure of your heritage if you’re going to make claims in the position she’s in. Being attached to a heritage means nothing if it hasn’t be used for personal gains. If you’re using your heritage for advancement, that’s just so sad to me.

How do you feel about Trump’s comments?

He hasn’t helped Native American progress. On the career comment, I feel a strong maybe on that. Him calling her “Pocahontas” may not seem bad but it’s a stereotypical name. It wouldn’t be offensive to the average person because Native Americans don’t really have a voice. I’m sure those who are more Native than me have been compared to Pocahontas at least once.

Sydney Ponder, 19, rising sophomore, Northern Virginia Community College

Tell me about your heritage

I’m Ojibwe, Chippawa, black, possibly Italian, and a few other things.

How do you feel about Warren’s heritage?

Given her position, it would be better to confirm her Native American heritage before discussing it. Has she done anything for the Native community? If you use your heritage and power to make a difference, that really speaks a lot about your character.

What’s your opinion on Trump’s comments on Warren?

He couldn’t care less about the Native American community. His comments add onto the humiliation that Natives have suffered for years at the hands of society.