With these simple changes your beauty routine can be more environmentally friendly

It might seem small but everything we do affects the environment

It’s easy to forget how deeply we are connected with nature, especially if you’re waking up each morning in a bedroom in suburban America. But everything we do, every choice we make, directly affects our planet. When you wash your face, when you put on makeup, when you brush your teeth, you have the opportunity to hurt or help the planet. While it may seem trivial, everyday routines can actually have a huge impact on the environment.

But don’t worry, not harming the environment is actually not as unavoidable as many seem to think! Here are some simple ways that you can make a change for the better.

Sunscreen

Problem:

Unbeknown to most, sunscreen has actually been found to be extremely harmful to our planet’s oceans. It is thought that up to 6,000 tons of sunscreen is released into the oceans annually. This sunscreen is not biodegradable and often comes to rest on coral reefs where it will remain and cause significant damage.

An article by National Geographic discusses the ways in which the chemicals in our sunscreens are actually beginning to kill off our coral reefs because they can awaken dormant viruses, leading to the “bleaching” effect and, ultimately, the reef’s death.

Solution:

Replace your name-brand sunscreen with a more eco-friendly one (most are labeled as “biodegradable” or “reef-safe”), or one with a physical filter. Some good brands are Alba Botanica, California Baby, and Badger.

Facial cleansers

Problem:

Many facial cleansers have microbeads in them to help with exfoliating. But, sadly, these tiny beads are harming our environment in many ways. Why? Well those tiny beads are actually made out of polyethylene, the most common type of plastic. Because they are so small, they are not filtered out or broken down by most sewage systems. Therefore, they wind up making it all the way into our oceans where they are frequently gobbled up by a variety of creatures, mistaking them for fish eggs.

What’s worse is these tiny plastic microbeads soak up chemicals and toxins on their journey to the oceans. Then, when they are scooped up by the smaller fish, those fish are eaten by a bigger fish which we catch and eat, with those toxins still in its stomach.

Solution:

There are many alternatives you can go with instead of purchasing cleansers with microbeads. Try a natural one, while you’re at it – even better for the environment and your skin! Some great options are Shaklee products, Lush products, Arbonne or Avalon Organics (they have an exfoliator that uses walnut shells and fruit enzymes!).

Palm Oil Products

Problem:

Many common beauty products contain palm oil (such as moisturizers, lipsticks and shampoos) unnecessarily. The huge demand for palm oil has led to a massive social and environmental issue in southeast Asia. The production of the crop is one of the leading causes of deforestation, landscape fires, habitat loss, species endangerment, climate change and more. In addition, the toxic smoke from fires causes 110,000 deaths annually.

Solution:

While palm oil can be found in quite a few common products, it is definitely possible to avoid purchasing it. But be careful, because it is often hidden with a different label. World Wildlife has a list of ways to spot the product on an ingredient label.

Many companies have rid their products completely of palm oil such as Lush Cosmetics, ModelCo, Carmex, Dermalogica, and many more. Check out this list here!

Antibacterial Soap

Problem:

Well, first off there are plenty of ways that antibacterial soap is harming humans – let alone the environment. Many studies have suggested that using too many antibacterial products early on in a child’s life may prevent them from developing a proper immune system. In a NYT article, Dr. Allison Aiello says, “The potential risks definitely outweigh the benefits, which are none.”

In relation to the environment, the chemical triclosan (the active ingredient in most antibacterial products) has been found to remain in water even after it has been fully treated and, therefore, has been detected in streams, ponds and other water sources. Once in these sources, it can cause a disruption in algae’s ability to properly photosynthesize and has been known to appear in the tissues of animals higher up on the food chain due to the chemical’s ability to biomagnify.

Solution:

Simply go without! Besides, it has been determined that antibacterial soaps are no more effective than just washing with regular soap and water!