Growing up in Sweden and Miami I had the best of both worlds

Duel citizenship, endless travel, actual winters and blazing hot summers

Most people are quick to identify me as the typical city girl or another Miami bitch. Although this might be true, there’s also a completely different life I’ve had from living in Sweden. Growing up I had the best of two worlds. I was born in the beautiful city of Miami Beach, then relocated to Sweden when I was two years old. My background has given me the opportunity to live two uniquely different lifestyles. I’ve been blessed with endless traveling, duel citizenship, actual winters, and blazing hot summers.

Transitioning from a place where everything is calm and slow-paced, to a city with so much momentum can be somewhat of a culture shock. I consider Sweden to be a very traditional country. It’s a lot more family oriented than what I grew accustomed to from living in the states. People are a lot more permissive with trying new things and appreciative for what they’ve got.

I’ve had the opportunity to experience things I would have never done living in Miami. A school field trip in Sweden is a day in the woods. We spent the day camping, roasting marshmallows, and exploring the outdoors. You would never see something like that in Miami Beach. I think the most exciting field trip I went to in Elementary school was to the playground two blocks away.

There’s a friendly vibe you won’t get in big cities

The level of kindness is unimaginable. In Sweden and other European countries people are more socially involved. Everywhere you go everyone is insanely friendly and welcoming. When I moved back to the States I was seven years old and I was starting first grade. The drastic change of environment was an unpleasant surprise at first. I remember thinking how awful it was to transition to a place where people weren’t as inviting and approachable. People in Sweden are always interacting with each other, even if it’s just a few words. Something you rarely see in Miami, or any big city for that matter. People here tend to mind their own business and focus more on themselves.

It’s not often to see people interact with their neighbors in Miami. I had the same neighbors for about seven years and had no idea who they were.

Swedish nightlife

Partying in Sweden is obviously nothing like the posh Miami nightlife. Many of the nightclubs have rooftop access, overlooking the city. Even during the winter its still fun and cozy because they put out heat warmers. When I visit during the summer, there are nights where I feel safe enough to wander off by myself. There’s no doubt you’ll still have an amazing time, and meet some down to earth people from different parts of the world.

The drinking laws over there are very different, and kind of strange. It’s legal to order beer when you’re 18 at bars or restaurants, but you have to be 20 to buy alcohol from the liquor store. It’s unlikely to hear any news regarding alcohol related crimes. Nobody really drinks and drives because of the convenient transportation methods throughout the city.

Instead of your typical pre-game soiree, traditionally before you go out with a group it’s often that you have dinner and drinks.

Summertime is my favorite

There’s nothing like a Swedish summer. The weather is perfect and the scenery is breathtaking.

A typical summer day is hanging with friends, drinking booze, and blasting music on the pier. The beach is nothing like us Floridan’s would expect. It’s more like ice cold water, dark enough to keep you away.

Cabin fever

In my opinion, Swedish winters can be very depressing. The only good part are all the winter activities like skiing, snowboarding, etc. When I was 17 I decided to move there in December to finish school online. I couldn’t even last four months. The sun went down around 3pm, and the days would feel endless. Nobody really leaves the house because it gets so cold, unless you’re headed for work or school. The insufficient amount of daylight can make you crazy.

Besides the amazing benefits that comes with being half Swedish, it’s a great place to visit. It’s one of the few countries where English is spoken as a second language. Almost everyone walks or rides the subway, nobody really drives there. It’s an easy commute when traveling to other nearby countries and completely affordable. It’s always nice to get out of my comfort zone, and enjoy the exclusivity of a different lifestyle.