Why Jersey is the best place in the US to celebrate Fourth of July

Whereas most people around the world ‘go to the beach,’ in Jersey we go ‘down the shore’

With the Fourth of July coming up, everyone seems to have a different opinion on the best way to celebrate America’s birthday. Some prefer the city, some the beach, and some their own backyards. Luckily, people from Jersey don’t have to choose, because the good old garden state provides access to all three and more.

Parades

No matter where you decide to go for the Fourth, be it the city, the suburbs, or the shore, you’ll have no trouble finding a Fourth of July Parade. What better way to kick off the celebrations than to spend the morning cheering alongside your entire town?

Fireworks

Everyone knows that it’s not the Fourth of July without a good fireworks show. This classic staple Independence Day celebration brings together whole communities to watch explosions of red, white, and blue light up the night sky. In Jersey, there are several ways to take part in this American tradition.

Those in northern New Jersey who want to celebrate in the city can easily drive into NYC to watch Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks. However, if you want to skip the traffic and crowds, many suburbs have great views of the city skyline where spectators go to watch the city fireworks from afar.

There are also countless local firework shows across the state where people can go to watch up close, picnic with friends and family, and listen to great live music.

Although it’s illegal to buy and set off fireworks in New Jersey, many people drive into Pennsylvania to pick them up and smuggle them back. Throughout the week leading up to July 4th and for several days after you can hear people setting them off in their backyards almost every night.

Backyard barbecue

One of the other most common ways to celebrate July 4th is with a backyard barbecue. After all, what’s more stereotypically American than eating a hotdog or hamburger and sipping on an ice cold beer? Barbecues are a great way to celebrate with friends and family if you prefer staying home over heading to the city or down the shore.

You can spend the day at a local pool club, most of which have carnivals or other activities for the celebration, and then head home to eat and light some sparklers.

Down the shore

Whereas most people around the world “go to the beach,” here in Jersey we go “down the shore,” and the Fourth of July is one of the most popular days of the year to do so. From Spring Lake to Cape May there are endless options of beach towns to visit for the holiday.
The Jersey Shore is famous for it’s stunning views and iconic boardwalks, so it’s the perfect place to spend the holiday soaking up the sun. This is an especially common choice for teens on Beach Week (also known as Shore Week or Senior Week), a tradition where recent graduates celebrate being done with high school by renting a shore house and partying for a week straight.