We spoke to Bakari Sellers, the youngest elected Black official in American history

He was just 22 when he became the youngest state legislator ever

Bakari Sellers is the youngest elected Black official in American history, as well as the youngest state legislator ever.

He’s known for his role as a renowned lawyer, his coverage as a CNN correspondent, and his involvement in South Carolina politics.

We spoke to him about his recent wedding, Brexit, and his plans for the future.

Tell me a little bit about your background, and how you came about your career path.

Well, I was the youngest state legislator in South Carolina, and the youngest elected Black official in the country. In 2006, I was elected to my first role, and in 2014 I ran for Lieutenant Governor but lost. I impressed myself – even to get the Democratic nomination for the job. I was in the House for eight years, and now I am a commentator for CNN.

So if I’m correct, you got your start as a lawyer – do you practice?

Yes, I do. It was where my interest in the political arena developed.

In the news recently, a lot of talk has been centered around Brexit. What are your views on it?

Brexit is unfortunate because I think people are already having a lot of regret. I think that a lot of paranoia and fear prompted people to vote to leave. During this piece of history fear won, and unfortunately, we are seeing the results – uncertainty in the market, uneasiness with our allies. In the days and weeks to come, we can expect to see an emphasis on unity and stabilization. I am interested in seeing how this all plays out.

In your experiences, as one of the youngest people in your field, have you ever run into any dinosaurs – any really old politicians who might not have taken you too seriously?

Oh, all the time, but you make sure you are the most prepared, that you know your material inside and out. You understand that you’re trying to give a voice to the people just like they are, and you will get your respect if you give it. When I first joined the House, people showed a lot of hesitation. When it was my turn to speak, people wanted to see what this new young legislator had to say and offer. Now, we have individuals that come on CNN, and they are 50 and you are 30, and they try to intimidate you. They assume they know more about the world than you do – so I always try to have a competition of ideas and share my perspective.

Tell me a little more about your role as a CNN commentator.

Basically, my role is to give a voice to the voiceless. I am from a town that has three stoplights, and so I do everything I can to make sure my community is proud because I represent the views of so many. 

I was told you recently got married, do you have any plans for the future?

Yes, I did. I am actually leaving for my honeymoon tomorrow. It might be a little late, but better late than never. I will be on CNN tonight, so I have a lot to do before our trip.

What are your plans for the future?

Right now, I am thoroughly enjoying the CNN family. I do see myself getting involved in politics in the future.

Do you have any advice for somebody looking at a career in politics?

In life you don’t just rack up MVP awards and championship trophies. For me, I just try to win each day – maybe that means someone listened to what I had to say and applied it in their life. Being a young Black democrat in South Carolina, it is hard to get certain things done. You have to keep pushing and keep trying, and maybe something good will happen. When they made the decision to take the confederate flag down, I was a co-anchor and had the opportunity to get involved in that way. It is all about making the most of the opportunities that present themselves to you.