Inside Donald Trump’s glitzy Scottish golf resort

Every knife and fork has Trump’s name carved into it

Ahead of Donald Trump’s visit to his famous golf course at Turnberry in Scotland tomorrow – renamed Trump Turnberry after he bought the land for £35.7 million – I managed to enter the luxury resort past all the security to have a look.

News crews were setting up outside the lavish clubhouse waiting for the tycoon to arrive. Countless construction workers, painters and gardeners were putting the finishing touches on the resort, aiming to impress Trump when he lands on UK soil.

Everywhere smelled of fresh paint and recently placed tarmac. I spoke to some gardeners who were frantically planting some red flowers outside the entrance. They told me: “We have been working 15 hours shifts each day for two weeks straight preparing the grounds for Trump’s arrival. We just hope he like it.”

As I was speaking to them a G4S security guard came up and asked me to move on and to “be on my way”.

After fighting my way through a crowd of security and news crews, and past a giant ornate fountain, I managed to get into the glitzy clubhouse.

Lush carpets, golf memorabilia and even gold radiators. Rolex wall clocks mounted everywhere next to oil paintings of famous golfers surrounded me.

Everything in the gents was gold and marble. Every surface gleaming and shiny. The locker room was coated in rich mahogany and think tartan carpets.

In the foyer where the menus for the restaurant upstairs. They included the Trump Steak Burger with chubby chips for £32 ($48) and lobster for £56 ($84).

If you fancy some Trump Wine from the magnate’s personnel 1,300-acre winery, a bottle will cost you £48 ($72). If you want the most expensive bottle – the Chateau de Beaucastel – you better be able to fork up £245 ($367) for the privilege. I’d prefer a £5 ($7.50) deal from Sainsburys.

There was a golf clothing and equipment shop in the foyer too. The store was packed with colourful coats, hats and jackets were emblazoned with Trump’s family crest. They included large price tags too – I got myself a red cap for £25 ($38) to fit in with the well dressed golfers.

I headed upstairs to the restaurant and bar for a drink. I was shown to a large upholstered leather chair and huge glass table. The view was incredible. The vista of the dark blue Atlantic Ocean with the mountainous Isle of Arran in the distance was stunning on the eyes. I laid back and soaked the majesty of the landscape in.

A waitress swooped over and asked me what I would like. Thinking I would only be able to afford a cup of tea, I went with that.

On the walls was a giant TV displaying some American soccer and portraits of Donald Trump. My £6 ($9) cup of tea arrived. In all fairness it was the best cup of tea I have ever had.

The room was full of booming American accents. Laughing and yelling about golf and business. There were signs saying “Beware wet paint” – they obviously want it to look its brightest and best for the arrival of the presidential candidate.

I left the clubhouse, crossed the road and climbed up the endless stone steps to the grand hotel that looks over the resort. Once again the view from the top was amazing.

The three storied hotel stretched along the top of the hill. There was a helipad just encase you like to arrive in style.

The extension on the side was still being built – Trump is arriving tomorrow for the big opening and it is not even fully finished.

Police and security vehicles ploughed by, probably making checks of the surrounding area.

Outside the pillared entrance a couple from Dallas asked me to take their picture for them. They wanted a nice photo in front of the magnificent hotel. I couldn’t blame them.

As I entered I walked across Trump’s name engraved in the stone floor. Through the spinning doors I was greeted to the most plush hotel I had ever seen. Just look at the pictures. Weary I was not really meant to be there I acted as a wealthy US businessman.

There was swanky furniture littered everywhere, included a grand piano and harp, on it a label saying “PLEASE DONT PLAY THIS HARP”.

Down the long chandelieried corridors was large lounge rooms. Some of them had no furniture at all. They hadn’t assembled the chairs and tables yet, you still have a few hours left guys.

Out the back was another ridiculously big fountain with a swish Bentley parked next to it. Guests arrived in massive cars and had they huge bags whisked away by the hotel’s staff.

I had another pop inside at the exuberant dinner rooms and found the menus, which included eggplant parmigiana and octopus salad. Each knife and fork had Trump’s name carved into the shining stainless steel.

As I left the fanciest place I have ever visited about and took in the incredible Scottish landscape in for one last time, I think I felt what it was like to be a billionaire mogul. It felt pretty great.