You shouldn’t feel anything but proud to be career minded

I like to think this is my path to success (and happiness)

IMG_1643I’ve always been career oriented. It all started when I was about six years old, and my father had convinced me that he had no idea how to read English (it’s worth mentioning that he is fluent in the language) so I would read a book to him. A few days later, I had made up my mind: I would teach my father everything my six year old brain knew about English.

As the years passed, my career options wavered between garnering fame as a world famous singer, becoming a doctor, mastering the art of yoga, and becoming a very successful ballet dancer (some context: I was gently kicked out of an Indian classical dance class after my exasperated teacher informed my mother I have no dancing ability whatsoever).

As a 19-year-old woman living in the 21st century, I have experienced the evolution and progression of societal gender roles while experiencing many benefits along the way, but have also learned about the various ongoing obstacles women have yet to overcome. In the rise of all this, I was raised with one primary goal in mind: to have a successful career.

This importance given to a woman’s career is a value that has been passed down for generations in my family. My parents have always emphasized the importance of being a productive member of society to the best of my abilities. Over the years, I’ve learned that there are many benefits that come with being career minded, some of which include:

Gaining self-responsibility

By constantly thinking about your career, you are trying to determine the best way that you as an individual can make an impact on your community. You are responsible for the way your life turns out – every mistake you make and every success you gain will be your own.

Becoming financially independent

There are a thousand good things about being financially independent. For one, you are earning money that you have every right to spend. Say you need to help your parents out, or want to give back to your community. You don’t have to consult anyone or take anyone’s permission to do so. You don’t have to be depend on anyone for fiscal matters of any kind.

Coming away with a sense of deep satisfaction

You are doing what YOU want to do, because you want to do it. You are living your life with purpose. Besides this, if something goes wrong, you can turn the entire game around and completely remould your life.