Every thought a woman has while walking alone at night

Can these keys double as a weapon?

One in five college women are sexually assaulted. The dangers of walking home alone at night are still as real and prevalent as ever. From a young age, women are taught a variety of ways to keep themselves safe in the ever growing predatory environment that is the night in a city.

These tips, cautionary tales, and warnings worm their ways into a woman’s brain as she is stuck alone walking in the dim lights of the city. I think it’s difficult for men to understand this paranoid, frightened, perspective that women hold as they are walking alone at night. So here it is. 

1. Walk faster, walk faster, walk faster, walk faster, walk faster
  2. Could this perfume double as pepper spray? Why do I keep forgetting to buy some?
  3. That man is staring at me isn’t he? He is totally staring.
  4. I shouldn’t have worn my hair up. He could completely just grab my pony tail.
  5. If he does attack me I should hit him in the crotch right away… or should I go for the eyes?
  6. I should’ve called a cab.
  7. Maybe if I stand up a little straighter I will look taller and he will be too intimidated to attack me.
  8. Where the hell did all of those street lights go? I swear they are getting dimmer.
  9. Is that shadow of the person behind me getting closer and closer? I should’ve paid more attention in that self defense class and practiced more.
  10. I should be holding my keys in my hand, they could be a weapon right?
  11. Where is the nearest open place to run to?
  12. I regret taking this late class.
  13. Can these heels pass as Nike Frees?
  14. I should cross the street before he gets to me.
  15. What was that rustle?
  16. Maybe if I talk on the phone that will deter them from attacking me.
  17. I should really stop walking alone at night, it isn’t worth the risk. But really, come on men.