Student discounts you didn’t even know about

Ramen is the most important food group

Being a recent graduate, I understand the financial struggles that come with being a university student or someone who is fresh out of college.

Take it from me, ‘free’ and ‘sale’ will become your favorite four-letter words.  You will become an expert at buying Chinese takeout and rationing it for several meals.  Those club meetings advertising free food?  There is no doubt that you will be there.  Now twenty years wiser, it is time to disregard the colorful palate and food groups that we all learned about as kids.  There is no doubt that ramen is the most important and under-appreciated food group.

Sometimes I wish I could get a fake ID that says I am 12 so that I can still buy youth tickets and eat from the kids’ menu. Unfortunately, that doesn’t exist (I checked), so being the frugal young professional that I am, I came up with a better plan.  A few days before I graduated, I got my hands on a new student ID with a 2021 expiration date so I can reap the benefits of student discounts until I’m 27.

There are many little-known shops and companies that offer various student discounts that a lot of my peers do not know about.  With that in mind, here is a compiled list of some of your favorite places that offer discounts with a valid student ID.

Shopping

As a broke college student, promotional emails from your favorite stores can be public enemy #1. Discounts make everything a little more bearable.

Save 15% at both Banana Republic and Ann Taylor.

Help make the word a little brighter by saving 10% at TOMS and a pair of shoes will be donated to a child in need through their One for One program.

Save 15% at J. Crew and Madewell.

Save 10% at Charlotte Russe, ASOS, and Alex and Ani.

Fast Food

10% discounts at some Arby’s, Burger King, McDonald’s, Subway, and TCBY.

Free drink with a purchase of a meal at some Chipotle and Chick-fil-A locations.

News Subscriptions

Check first through your university to see if they offer any free publications.

The Economist offers a discounted weekly subscription for students with print delivery and access to their digital articles.

The New York Times and Wall Street Journal also offer student memberships so you can keep up with more in the world than just the Kardashians.

Software

At this link, you can search for Microsoft discounts based on the university you attend.

Some schools offer discounted rates on Microsoft Office, laptops, headphones, tablets, and other accessories.

50% of Norton antivirus software for Macs and PCs.

Save 70% on Adobe Creative Cloud—Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and several other programs included.

Amazon Prime

With a valid .edu email address, you can sign up for a free six-month Prime membership.  After those six free months, the regular rate will be discounted by 50%.

With Amazon Prime, you are eligible for free two-day shipping on most products.  Prime also comes with a six-month free trial of the Washington Post, access to countless movies and shows streamed online, and several other useful perks.

Spotify Premium

Get ad-free music streamed straight to your laptop or phone at the 50% discounted rate of $4.99 per month. You’ll have access to all of your favorite music (besides Taylor Swift).

Apple

Discounts vary depending on the Apple product you purchase.  Buying a new Macbook Pro will get you $100 off and $67 off AppleCare.

Museums

For those of us who want to seem culturally sound, your student ID can get you a few dollars off to free admission to some of the best museums in the nation.

The Boston Museum of Fine Arts offers free admission to participating institutions in the University Membership Programs for schools in Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.

The MOMA and the Met offer $12 admission as opposed to the $23 regular rate.

The Whitney Museum of American Art offers $18 admission.

The list continues, so check the museum’s website before heading in.

Movie Theaters

On Thursdays, AMC offers a discounted rate for those with a valid student ID.

Car Insurance

Several major insurance companies—All State, GEICO, and State Farm—offer discounted rates for students, often accompanied by proof of good grades. Deals vary by location and insurance company.

It never hurts to ask if a store has a student discount, so ask away and take advantage of that student ID while the picture still looks like you!