We should be celebrating the sisterhood of female friendship

I’m so sick of hearing ‘I only hangout with guys because girls are so dramatic’

There is something special that comes along with a female friendship. We love just as hard as we hate, make ourselves a #squad, and can become best friends after a five minute drunk talk in the bathroom – oh, and we can also completely destroy each others lives and reduce each other to tears within seconds.

It is so important to surround yourself with strong females and not just the stereotypical “bad bitch.” We can learn from each other and grow while also taking something important from the relationships that have sizzled out.

I can’t begin to explain my love for this girl

Guys will never understand it, and neither will we, but it is something beautiful that needs to be recognized. Female friendship isn’t just grabbing coffee and gossiping – it is a sisterhood.

When we start a friendship, we hit the ground running

Finding good girlfriends can be one of the hardest things to do, and it is extremely intimidating. Let’s not even try to go back to the traumatizing days of middle school. Somehow by some grace of God – you and your soulmate will find each other. And yes, your soulmate is your best friend. You meet a new girlfriend and you have a few things in common. Next thing you know, you have not left each others side for days and you have the perfect manicure cause you have stayed in and watched movies while killing bottles of wine for the past week.

This is the definition of candid

#Squadgoals was a thing before T-Swift: It’s called Saturday night

When we go out, we GO OUT. Getting ready together is like a ritual, and you have to have a system down because five girls sharing one bathroom in your dingy college apartment is a science. Somehow you come out of the house and enter the night looking like complete babes – every single time. When we go grab lunch in sweatpants, we are #squadgoals and always will be. Not because we’re supermodels, but instead it’s because we are slaying when we aren’t even trying to be. Having a group of girlfriends is not just a squad, it’s family and the goal is achievable because you and your girls are one of a kind.

They will hold your hair back and help you hold your head up high

This isn’t just a reference to getting sick after too much jungle juice, even though that’s totally part of it. The sisterhood of healthy female friendships stems from building each other up and willing to sacrifice for each other because there is a lot of sacrificing that goes into being a good girlfriend. I have driven two and a half hours to my friends college when she got stood up on a date and bought a cheesecake and flowers at midnight even though I had a major exam at 9am the next day. It’s not called codependence – it is called being “ride or die.”

Duh, boy talk

Oh goodness, this is a big one. Whether it’s a new crush or something weird happened behind closed doors, there are no boundaries on what we will tell each other. Surprise, not all females just talk about each other, but instead we talk about guys. They aren’t the epitome of every conversation of course, so don’t toot your horn. It’s mainly when you do something really great or really terrible.

We ride inclines in the sunshine.

When you make up after a fight, the hug after is the best hug you will ever receive

Fighting is part of any friendship, but when you make up after that spat about how you forgot to invite her out one night or blew off plans one too many times, it is amazing. The “I miss you” and “let’s never have that happen again, OK?” and “you’re my best friend, and I never want to lose you” go flying all around the place. The talk after a fight is where the true love for each other is verbalized, and you realize what you actually mean to each other. Then you hug it out and become best friends again.

It’s always a good idea to hug it out.

We share more about our lives, like a lot more

When we hangout, we go into detail about our life, day, relationships, what we ate for lunch, etc. Really unnecessary information is shared between females in every conversation because we actually care about these things. Why do you think it drives us crazy when we ask our man friends “How was your day?” and all we get back is “Good.”

If we asked our friend this question, she would be going into detail about her phone call with her cousin, how cute her server was at lunch, what she wore and how uncomfortable her new shoes are. We tell each other EVERYTHING. Refer back to the second paragraph about ruining each other’s lives because this is how we can do it. This ends by mid-twenties I’ve been told because ladies finally just stop caring enough when you get in a fight with someone to do anything about it.

They can be your fashion inspiration

Probably because you’re borrowing each other’s clothes. You get each others hand-me-downs and can even save money when you go shopping together because you just have to buy one of everything and share. You will both pick up on new trends, and it is super exciting to share that with each other because then you are killing it on all levels.

Halloween is always a good time.

They are your own personal photographer

I am shameless about the fact that I love a good photoshoot, and who else are you gonna ask to actually take the pictures besides your best friends? You wouldn’t feel comfortable going up to anyone else in your life to ask if they would take pictures of you because they would look at you like you were nuts and then probably laugh in your face.

Taking pictures is a serious thing in our generation thanks to Insta and Snapchat, and you need a friend that understands how you transform into a perfectionist when you see that perfect background as you stare into the distance and they snap away on their cell phone.

Singing with the windows down to really embarrassing music

This is my personal favorite. Who else can you do this with? Your sisters and best friends – that’s who. I like to think of myself as very versatile in my music choices while mainly liking underground indie bands and classic rock, but you better believe that the second Alanis Morissette or Backstreet Boys come on that I am singing at the top of my lungs and know every word along with my own personal dance moves. “Hollaback Girl,” “Fergalicious,” and “Lady Marmalade” will always have a place in my heart for the moments those songs have brought me and my best friends.

KARAOKE IS THE BEST.

Feel free to cry – no judgment here

Whether you got a bad grade, someone died, you got dumped, just watched a rom-com, or stubbed your toe – cry baby cry. When you’re drunk and crying in the bathroom, we do not judge each other. We all go through a phase of every time we drink = tears. I have made a lot of friends at college by being the person that pulls the crier into the stairwell and plays therapist. I have actually chased a crying girl into the woods, and we became friends. We have no room to judge, and we have no right because it is something that happens to the best of us.

You bicker like sisters, but it’s funny cause you’re not actually sisters

I bicker with my real sisters all the time about nearly everything, but there is that unconditional love that roots from being with each other your whole lives and sharing a bloodline. So when you fight with your real sister, shit gets real and the low blows are exactly where they hit, but you’re family and so nothing will ever make you not love them.

Bickering with your girlfriends is awkward and passive which makes it hysterical. You get on each others’ nerves sometimes and that’s OK because that means that you’re having a normal relationship. The bickering is funny if you actually think about it because you both know what you’re doing.

It all started in middle school.

I mean I could go on forever, but I think you get the point. Female friendships are actually a sisterhood and an enigma that is not meant to be figured out but just appreciated.