York student charged after eggs thrown at King Charles last month

He will appear at York Magistrates’ Court next month

A York student has been charged with an offence under Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986 after eggs were thrown at King Charles during his visit to York.

Patrick Thelwell, a 23-year-old York student, has been charged with threatening behaviour after a police investigation into eggs being thrown in the direction of the King and Queen Consort last month.

Thelwell was arrested last month and released on bail with conditions including that he must stay 500m from King Charles at all times and be banned from carrying eggs in public. He will appear at York Magistrates’ Court next month, on 20th January 2023.

The King and Queen Consort Camilla were visiting York last month to unveil a new statue of Queen Elizabeth II and attend a ceremony at York Minster.

Videos on social media showed eggs being thrown at the King from the crowd and narrowly missing. The crowd started chanting “God save the King” in response to the protester.

Nick Price, Head of the CPS Special Crime and Counter Terrorism Division, said: “The CPS has authorised North Yorkshire police to charge Patrick Thelwell with threatening behaviour contrary to Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986. This follows an investigation by police into an incident in which eggs were thrown at HM The King in York on 9 November 2022.

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Patrick Thelwell are active and that he has the right to a fair trial.”

Featured image credit: Tim Rooke/Shutterstock