A list of all the mental health resources available at the University of York

Look after yourself this mental health awareness day

CW: Discussion of mental health

Today is World Mental Health Awareness Day, a day dedicated to education, awareness and advocacy against social stigma. It is important to take about mental health all year round but this year’s theme is ensuring mental health and wellbeing for all becomes a global priority.

University can be a challenging time for many. You’re faced with loads of changes including  moving away from home for the first time, learning to fend for yourself and having to find a whole new support network

So we have compiled a list of all the services available to students at the University of York, and how to access them during your studies.Whether your experiencing uni loneliness, work load stress, something going on at home or other issues; it’s a good idea to take a step back, take a breath and consider seeking support for what you’re going through.

College Support

If you’re struggling, seeking support from your college is a good place to start and it doesn’t matter whether you live in college accommodation or not. Each college has College Life Coordinators and Advisors that offer pastoral support and can help solve issues and point you to specialist support. First year students will also have a designated STYM (second and third year mentor) who is a student mentor assigned to each flat to offer advice and help with the transition to uni life. Contact details for your College’s support team can be found here.

Open Door

Open Door is the university’s main counselling service. Open Door is a team of Mental Health Practitioners and Student Wellbeing Officers “providing support to registered students experiencing psychological or mental health difficulties.”

To make an appointment with Open Door, you can complete this referral form and you will be contacted within two working days.

The Student Hub

The Student Hub, found in the basement of the Information Centre by Nisa is a good place for signposting to relevant support channels. The Student Hub Support and Advice team is the Hub’s first point of contact for advice on a range of issues including “financial support and money management, housing advice and support for underrepresented student groups.” The Hub is open 10am-4pm Monday to Friday and can be contacted on 01904 32410 or [email protected]. There is also a self referral form that can be accessed here.

Academic Supervisor

For any academic/study-related issues, your assigned academic supervisor is a good place to start. All academic staff have weekly office hours where you can go and chat to them about any issues you may have. They are also able to assist with general pastoral guidance as well as career options.

Nightline

Nightline is a confidential listening and information service run by students for students. They provide space for you to talk about anything that is affecting you, as well as offer a wide range of information on other services.

Togetherall

Togetherall is an online support network available to University of York students. It is accessible online 24/7 and allows an anonymous and safe space for you to get things off your chest and receive advice from trained professionals.

Sexual Violence Liason Officers

The University’s Sexual Violence Liason Officers are available to offer support to those who have suffered sexual harassment, assault or violence. You can access support from the SVLOs whether something has happened recently or some time ago. Support it also confidential and you will not be pressured into taking any particular course of action. You can fill out this form if you would like to speak to a Sexual Violence Liason Officer.

External Support

There are many external charities that provide free mental health support across the UK.

Samaritans, offers help for everyone experiencing suicidal thoughts, or for people who need assistance on helping someone.  They are available 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. Call on 116 123.

Calm (Campaign against living miserably), offers help to men feeling down or suicidal. Their helpline is available 5am-midnight, 365 days of the year. Call on 0800 58 58 58. Alternatively you can visit their website for a webchat.

Anxiety UKprovide support for those with anxiety, stress and anxiety-based depression conditions. Their helpline is available for all ages and runs between 9.30am – 5.30pm, Monday – Friday (except bank holidays). Call on 03444 775 774.

Papyrus offers a service for people under 35 and it is a charity that aids suicide prevention. You can call them from 9am-10pm Monday-Friday and between 2-10pm on weekends and bank holidays. Call on 0800 068 41 41.

If you or someone you know is struggling, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time.