Heslington Road cordoned off after a man is arrested over a violent incident

Police were called at 10:20pm last night

York Mix have reported a police blockade on Heslington Road after reports of violence around 11pm last night, it has later been confirmed that a man had been stabbed.

A man has been taken to hospital with stab wounds and “is in a stable condition.”

A police van has also been stationed outside the Victoria Pub as the scene is being investigated.

Witnesses say that there was around “eight police vehicles along the road” in connection with the violence. Details have not yet emerged but it seems that one person has suffered a chest injury and there was “blood all over the pavement”.

The area being blocked off for  investigation spans from the The Victoria at the junction with Cemetery Road down to Belle Vue Street further down towards the university. The incident is “believed to have happened in the Apollo Street area and the victim made his way onto Heslington Road shortly afterwards.”

A member of the public was told that the street would be closed off until at least lunchtime today (Sunday).

A North Yorkshire Police spokeswoman told the York Mix: “Officers recognise that the incident will have caused alarm in the local area, however, they believe that it did not pose a risk to the wider community.

“Anyone who witnessed any suspicious activity in the area last night or has doorbell or other private CCTV of Apollo Street or Heslington Road, or was passing through and may have dashcam footage we ask that you please contact North Yorkshire Police”.

You can contact the North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2 and ask for York CID.

You can also contact the anonymous Crimestoppers number on 0800 555 111, the reference number being 12210086443.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Kill the Bill protest held in St Helen’s Square York

Bettys Café Tea Rooms set to close in Stonegate York

• A guide to the mental health support available for students at York