Image may contain: Steeple, Spire, Tower, Town, City, Urban, Car, Automobile, Vehicle, Transportation, Architecture, Building, Human, Person

Man accused of murdering York student doesn’t show up to court today

He was due to appear in court today

Paul Crowther, the man accused of murdering Environmental Geography student Bethany Fields, did not appear in court today.

He has been charged with murder and possession of a bladed article.

Image may contain: Selfie, Photo, Photography, Portrait, Mouth, Lip, Teeth, Smile, Accessory, Accessories, Glasses, Face, Person, Human, Head

Crowther was due to appear at Leeds Crown Court today, but according to the prosecution "he has elected not to attend court."

The prosecutor, Mark McKone, told the Judge, Rodney Jameson QC: "Mr Crowther is obviously remanded in custody. I understand he has elected not to attend court today."

A provisional trial date has been set for 2nd March 2020 in addition to a plea and trial preparation hearing on 31st October 2019. There was no application made for bail.

A memorial table has been set up in the Environmental Building foyer at the University of York for people to leave flowers, mementos and messages of condolence for Beth and her family. Pens and glue will be provided in order for people to write messages or add photographs to the book.

Beth was found seriously injured in Huddersfield town centre and sadly later passed away from her wounds.

A statement issued by her family described her as "a beautiful, talented, ambitious, intelligent, kind, giving and loving daughter" who had a "bright future ahead of her."

The statement also said "Bethany had a wonderfully pleasant nature, with a love of nature, plants and animals.

She will be sadly missed, but never forgotten, forever in our hearts and thoughts.

Heaven has gained the brightest star of them all. Thanks to everyone for the support. It is very much appreciated."

An email was also sent out to the members of her department, informing them of the news and reminding them of the support that is available from the university.

Professor Mark Hodson, a member of the the Department of Environment and Geography also said "It was with great sadness that we heard the news of Beth's untimely death. She was an enthusiastic and committed student and popular with her classmates."