Racist graffiti written on bananas in Warwick halls

It said ‘monkey nigga’

A black student in halls at Warwick opened her fridge to find racist remarks written on her bananas. 

The Tweet comes from @Faramade_ showing a bunch of bananas with “monkey!” and “nigga!” written on them in black pen.

Her Tweet says: “Just entered the kitchen and look at what one of my flatmates has done. I am extremely disgusted.”

The Tweet in question shows racial slurs on a banana

This has prompted a wide array of replies, from discussions as to whether the “male and pale” Sabbatical Officers will tackle the issue.

Shore Delano, a student at the university said: “That sort of behavior warrants being kicked out of university at the very least. Bullying, and blatant racism, I’m actually in shock.”

Charlie Hindhaugh, current Warwick Education Officer said: “This is absolutely disgusting and unacceptable and the manner will be taken seriously by the university.”

Chloe Wynne, future Warwick Welfare Officer said: “I’m so sorry you’ve been attacked on your own campus. Hope there’s support in place asap and perpetrators are appropriately disciplined.”

The post is being widely shared on social media, with over 2,000 retweets and attempts to get big profiles on social media aware of the incident.

Warwick University has released a response, stating: “Warwick SU has a zero-tolerance policy on racist behaviour. We unequivocally condemn this shocking and disgusting act, which should clearly have no place in either our University or society at large.”

Warwick Anti-Racism Society have commented on the issue: “The Warwick Accomodation handbook has absolutely nothing regarding racism, yet the institution will happily shout about diversity and champion signing the Race Equality Charter. We deserve 0 tolerance to racism on our campus. They make it clear that THIS IS NOT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT.”

This post will be updated with more information.