Tab alumnus Sam Dean crowned Young Sports Writer of the year

Former Nottingham Editor Sam Dean has won the award for Young Sports Writer of the year.

Having just finished his graduate scheme at The Telegraph, and now working for the paper full time, Sam was lauded for his quality of writing.

The judges said his work “displays great skill and authority – his quality shines through.”

Sam was co-editor with Jennie Gale in the 2013/14 academic year. Having started out writing match reports, Sam ventured into writing irreverent features and breaking news stories.

Some of his highlights included a girl who thought she’d been shot when someone drove past and threw an egg at her, a lecturer who was forced to apologise to all of his students for calling them idiots and Channel 4 presenter Rick Edwards being thrown out of a local nightclub.

After completing his History degree at the University of Nottingham, Sam won a place to study journalism at City University and then successfully got a job on the Telegraph’s grad scheme.

Adam Crafton, a Cambridge Tab Alumni, was also nominated for the award for his work on the sports desk of the Daily Mail.