Image may contain: Outdoors, Nature, Soil, Tractor, Construction Crane, Construction, Vehicle, Train, Transportation, Human, Person

Auschwitz slogan ‘Arbeit Macht Frei’ found on University of Sussex building site

The words were originally written above the entrance to the German concentration camp

The words "Arbeit Macht Frei" have been found etched onto a chalkboard on East Slope's building site, at the University of Sussex.

The slogan, which translates into "Work Sets You Free," was written above the entrance of Auschwitz concentration camp, as well as at other camps.

The construction company, Balfour Beatty, and the University of Sussex, have both spoken out on the issue, stating: "Balfour Beatty and the University of Sussex take incidents of offensive behaviour incredibly seriously.

"As soon as we are informed about this blackboard, it was removed immediately. Inappropriate language or behaviour will not be tolerated on any of our sites. The site operates under a clear code of conduct which all employees and those who work with and for us are expected to follow. Balfour Beatty continue to investigate this matter and are in the process of briefing all staff on site."

The University of Sussex Students' Union have released a statement:

The statement goes on to add: "The Students' Union will not tolerate anti-semitism, or any kind of hate, on our campus. We ask that if anyone has information about who wrote this they make contact with the University."

Although the person who wrote the message remains unclear, members of the Jewish community have responded strongly.

Sonny Lieberman, president of the Jewish Society at Sussex, said: "The Brighton Jewish Community, as well as the Brighton and Sussex Jewish Society, is very upset to see this display of Anti-Semitism on their beloved university campus.

"We like to see Sussex Uni as a safe environment for Jews and other minority groups. Thankfully, these issues are not consistent but when they occur, we support each other as a community, and as people."