Tributes laid in Leazes Park after body found in police search for missing teenager

The 19-year-old was first reported missing from Leazes Park on Monday

Many tributes have been made to a 19-year-old found in Leazes Park by police on Wednesday afternoon, following a missing persons search.

Reagan Brown was reported missing on a Monday night at 10:30pm and was last seen in the Leazes Park area before a body was discovered two days later.

Extensive enquiries were carried out with support from partner agencies to locate Reagan.

After the discovery on Wednesday, Northumbria Police wrote: “Formal identification is yet to take place but Reagan’s next of kin have been notified and are being offered support.”

Reagan’s family and friends have paid homage to the 19-year-old from Hexham, Northumberland.

Tributes have been laid on a bench next to the lake, including letters and a balloon that reads “Fly high Reagan, Forever 19”.

ChronicleLive reported that the news came after Reagan’s sister, 24-year-old Shaina Nevison, made a desperate plea for her sister to come home. She said: “This is the most out of character thing that Reagan has ever done, it’s like someone has clicked their fingers and she has disappeared. I never would have thought she would just vanish off the face of the earth like this and it has been the most awful experience for me and the entire family to go through.”

Shaina further described Reagan fondly when speaking about her confusion around her sister’s disappearance: “Reagan is the funniest person you could ever meet and she is so caring and kind, honestly the best little sister you could ask for. She has a great family life at home with our mum Katrina, dad Francis, and little brother Tyler, as well as the family dog, so I don’t think she would ever run away.”

Northumbria Police added: “Our thoughts are with Reagan’s loved ones at this difficult time, and we would ask they are given privacy as they attempt to process this sad news.”

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably) on 0800 58 58 58. 

If you are a Northumbria University student feeling unsettled about the news, please be aware that support is available. You can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the Ask4Help service and specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Life and Wellbeing.

If you are a Newcastle University student and need support, you can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the TalkCampus and iNCLude service and find specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Wellbeing.

Featured image via Instagram @reagann_nevisonn.