Police launch murder investigation after Northumbria University student found dead in halls

A 21-year-old has been arrested in connection with the incident

Northumbria Police have launched a murder investigation after a Northumbria University student was found dead at a student halls on Tuesday.

A 21-year-old man, who was believed to already be known to the victim, has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Police and emergency services attended Mansion Tyne Hall but found the 24-year-old student had died.

In an email sent out to all students informing them of the news, Northumbria University said they were “deeply saddened” and offered support to any students who may be feeling “unsettled.”

A Northumbria Police spokesperson said: “Shortly before 4.30pm on Tuesday police received a report of concern for the welfare of a man inside an address on Howard Street, Newcastle.

“Police and emergency services attended but sadly a 24-year-old man was confirmed as deceased.

“While enquiries are at an early stage, a murder investigation has been launched and a 21-year-old man arrested in connection with the incident. He remains in custody at this time.

“It is believed the two men were known to each other and there is no risk to the wider public, but officers will remain in the area.”

A spokesperson for the university said: “We are deeply saddened to confirm the death of a Northumbria University student at the Mansion Tyne accommodation.

“The student’s family have been informed and our Welfare Team is offering any support they need at this difficult time.

“As this is an ongoing police investigation we ask that you avoid speculating on social media or other platforms, however we would like to reassure you that the police have said that there is no further risk to the wider public.”

If you are a Northumbria University student feeling unsettled about the news, please be aware that support is available. You can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the Ask4Help service and specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team

To access these services please visit Student Life and Wellbeing.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.