Appeal for witnesses after 21-year-old woman attacked in Jesmond

It happened on Shortridge Terrace

This article contains images some readers may find distressing

Northumbria Police are launching a fresh appeal for witnesses after a woman was attacked in Jesmond.

The incident, which happened on Thursday 14th July, involved a 21-year-old woman who was attacked while walking along Shortridge Terrace. Police are now releasing images of the injuries she suffered in a re-appeal for witnesses.

The woman was taken to hospital with injuries to her head and hand. Her attacker is described by police as being around 5ft 7ins tall of stumpy / fat build, bald. He was wearing a black short sleeved polo shirt with pink and blue print on the front and blue jeans.

At the time of the incident enquiries were carried out but officers were unable to identify the attacker or a reason why he may have committed this offence.

Officer in charge of the investigation DC Karen Jenkins said: “This was an unprovoked and very unusual offence. The young woman was walking back from Sunbury Avenue to Shortridge Terrace when this man came up behind her and for no reason attacked her. He struck her a number of times with what we believe was a metal hammer causing significant injuries to her head and hand.

“He left without taking anything so this doesn’t appear to have been a robbery, which makes it all the more unusual, and we are very keen to identify this man as soon as possible.

“The victim has agreed to us releasing images showing the serious extent of her injuries in the hope that this may lead to someone, somewhere, with some information that could help us find this dangerous man coming forward and speaking to us.

“I would urge anyone who was in the area at the time of the attack or anyone who recognises the man from the description to come forward and help us.”

If you know anything about this incident or can provide any information call 101 quoting reference number 54 14/07/16.