Man on trial for attempted rape of students in university accommodation

He ‘broke into halls of residence looking for drunk students to rape’

40-year-old Tahir Nazir from Glasgow has gone on trial, due to accusations of breaking into student accommodation in the ‘dead of night’.

He prowled the corridors of halls, in order to sexually assault and rape drunk students.

Tahir Nazir is alleged to have targeted university towns in England and Wales before being caught in Manchester, committing disturbing offences.

He denies trespass with intent to commit an offence, sexual assault, attempted rape, and three charges of trespass with intent to commit a sexual offence at Manchester Crown Court.

He was arrested after girls in a shared house in Fallowfield became aware that someone was trying to enter their rooms, and began texting and Facebook messaging each other about it at 4.40am.

Nazir is accused of entering student properties and committing disturbing offences against drunken women

Tahir Nazir is accused of entering student properties and committing disturbing offences against drunken women.

Six days prior to the incident, in the hours after Halloween –  he allegedly tried to rape a student at Hulme, after attempting to enter the property behind the intoxicated young woman.

It’s alleged she shut the door before he could get in, so he then went up and down the corridors looking for open doors.

Eventually a young woman woke up to find Nazir licking her neck while “naked from the waist down” and thrusting himself against her.

He is alleged to have fled the address once challenged , but then tried to get into other rooms in a “somewhat sexually frustrated and aroused state”.

Crown Court, where the trial is to be heard.

Nazir was linked to the Hulme attack by DNA from the girl’s neck after he was arrested in Fallowfield.

Nazir had possession of viagra, a fake Glasgow University ID, and had done internet searches for “high school girls” and “Freshers Week”.

He has been linked to many offences of this ilk. In the early hours of September 22nd, a visitor to a student house in Cardiff awoke to find Mr Nazir “on top” of her “very drunk” friend.

It was heard that he smashed the bathroom window to get in.

Mr Nazir denies all the allegations, saying he was invited back to the halls in Cardiff and Hulme, and that he was looking for a drug dealer who had ripped him off in Fallowfield.

Opening the case, Mr Blackshaw said: “Evidence shows him travelling from Scotland down into England, through England and down into Wales – all part of sexually predatory behaviour targeted at university undergraduate females. Not just targeting them in general, but targeting them within accommodation.

“During the dead of night he breaks into accommodation using one device or another, and then having done that, on two of the occasions, sexually attacks females who are asleep in their beds.”