New year new you? The Tab Glasgow is looking for new writers to join our fabulous team

Come to our open meeting at 5pm on Thursday 18th January at Bank Street Bar + Kitchen to learn more!

If you’re looking for a new extracurricular to start this semester, The Tab is a great way to meet like-minded students, bulk out your CV, and get real, hands-on experience.

Here is your chance to write for an amazing team at The Glasgow Tab, where your stories will be published online and get thousands of reads.

The Glasgow Tab is a news site written by Glasgow students, for Glasgow students. We’re always searching for fresh writers to join our team. You don’t have to be an experienced writer; just be a fun and passionate person looking to join a team of excellent student journalists. Anyone can get involved and write as little or as much as they want.

Send us a direct message on our Instagram or Facebook pages if you’re interested in joining. On Thursday 18th January at 5pm, we’re also holding an open meeting at Bank Street Bar + Kitchen on Byres Road, so bring a pal or come alone and say hi! You’ll find us upstairs with our brilliant white Tab T-Shirts (pictured below) and you’ll have the chance to meet our team of writers and editors.

Need any more convincing? Here are five reasons why you should write for us:

1. You can write almost anything

You can write nearly anything as long as it’s something Glasgow students would genuinely want to read, such as creating a quiz to determine how Glasgow Uni Wanker someone is or speaking to students about the UCU strikes.

2. You will be at the cutting edge of on-campus news and get to break the stories students care about

We excel at breaking news items that are significant to students. In the past, writers have had to literally run through the West End to reach a story that was in progress. Being dedicated allows us to often get the best exclusives before anyone else.

3. It’s an unbeatable way to build up a portfolio

Having a stellar portfolio is essential if you’re looking for any writing or editing positions, not just in journalism. The Tab allows you to write on a variety of subjects and in a variety of styles; you can really demonstrate your skills here, and it’s all available online already.

4. You’ll be joining a national team and be supported in your writing by qualified journalists

Despite the fact that we are The Glasgow Tab, we have a very close relationship with The Tab’s national team. The national team is led by recently graduated professional journalists who are always available to offer guidance and assistance on any projects you are working on.

5. It’s an opportunity to socialise and meet fun and interesting people

You’ll get to know and engage with some of the coolest and most intriguing people on campus in addition to working and socialising with a fantastic team of writers.

Our open meeting is open to anyone interested in writing for The Tab so be sure to pop along – you don’t need any experience or ideas! The link to the Facebook event is here and we hope to see lots of you next Thursday at 5pm at Bank Street Bar + Kitchen.

Related stories recommended by this author:

Looking for a new society to join this year? Here are five reasons you should write for us

I tried and rated six of Glasgow West End’s top coffee shops so you don’t have to

• A day in the life of a full-time Glasgow student balancing studies, working, and FOMO