BREAKING: Suspect shot following reports of mass stabbing in Glasgow city centre
Emergency services are on the scene
Police have been called to Glasgow city centre following unconfirmed reports of a stabbing.
According to The Scottish Sun, emergency crews are currently on the scene and the road in the city centre has been closed off.
BREAKING: Police Scotland have confirmed a male suspect was shot by an armed officer following an incident in Glasgow city centre.
A police officer was injured while dealing with the incident as is now being treated in hospital.
— SkyNews (@SkyNews) June 26, 2020
Witnesses report “multiple” people have been stabbed in a daylight attack. Glasgow Live reports three have been killed and a suspect has been shot.
• Sky News reports the suspect was shot by an armed officer.
• The Daily Star reports a police officer has been stabbed.
• Police Scotland has released a statement: “We are continuing to deal with the incident on West George Street #Glasgow and would ask people to avoid the area.”
• Boris Johnson has released a statement: “Deeply saddened by the terrible incident in Glasgow, my thoughts are with all the victims and their families. Thank you to our brave emergency services who are responding.”
• Eye-witnesses told LBC he saw a man enter a building and tab two people. He said: “I was a resident on third floor in Park Inn. I’m staying with my mum there. So what happened was I heard…noises, loud noises you see. Woman screaming and man screaming for help, but I couldn’t see from my window what’s going on. But I could see people standing there and looking towards the hotel.”
We appreciate families of police officers in #Glasgow will be anxious to hear that a police officer has been stabbed. Please be aware the family of the officer has been notified and is being supported by the service.
— ScotsPolFed (@ScotsPolFed) June 26, 2020
Mass stabbing a in Glasgow city center. RIGHT NOW People dead 😰😰💔 pic.twitter.com/H8WJGBAszT
— jacob callaghan (@jacob_c_1995) June 26, 2020
West George Street is currently closed to traffic, between Hope Street and West Nile Street. Renfield Street, between West Regent Street and St Vincent Street is also closed.
Police Scotland confirmed they are “dealing with an incident.”
They said: “The situation is contained at this time and there is no danger to the general public.”
Reports police are dealing with a terrorist incident here in Glasgow city centre. pic.twitter.com/F8J8IGQDPd
— Linda Sinclair (@lindajsinclair) June 26, 2020
BBC reporter Catriona Renton, currently on the scene, tweeted: “Understood three dead in a stairwell of hotel. Had been stabbed. Police shot suspect.
“It is not known if the knifeman is among the dead.”
Footage shows armed units running down the road.
BREAKING – The latest on the incident in #glasgow
– Multiple reported dead
-Police Officer has been stabbed
-Suspect has been shot by firearms officers.
-Incident is ‘contained’ and there is no wider threat to the public. #glasgowattack #glasgowstabbing pic.twitter.com/12cs6LDUwE
— Sam (@samtaylor_03) June 26, 2020
Witnesses have reported ambulances taking people away from the Park Inn Hotel on stretchers. The hotel had been a temporary form of accommodation during the pandemic.
According to Glasgow Live Queen Elizabeth University Hospital is braced for a major incident.
Updates will be added above. If you have any information, pictures, or video, contact The Glasgow Tab on Facebook.
Related stories recommended by this writer:
Featured image credit: Jacob Callaghan via Twitter.