Cardiff University announce in-person graduations for summer 2022

Past and present graduates set to celebrate success at The Principality Stadium

Pro-Vice Chancellor for Education and Student Experience at Cardiff University, Claire Morgan, made an announcement outlining details for the in-person ceremonies next summer.

The graduation ceremony will host graduations from the class of 2022 as well as welcoming back graduates from 2021 and 2020 in the days following, to allow all graduates to celebrate their success along with family and friends.

The in-person ceremonies will take place in the home of welsh rugby– The Principality Stadium– through 20-22 July next year. The iconic stadium is usually home to various sporting events, concerts, and the Varsity, but Cardiff graduates will be taking centre stage next year.

Graduates of all years will also be invited to visit Cardiff’s Graduation Gardens; these will be receptions on the lawns of the University’s Main Building, and graduates will also have the opportunity to have professional photographs taken.

There are many details still to be finalised ahead of the ceremonies, but all graduation ceremonies will take place between 20 and 22 July 2022 as follows:

Wednesday 20 July 2022 – Class of 2022

Thursday 21 July 2022 – Class of 2020

Friday 22 July – Class of 2021

The news comes long awaited for some past graduates, as the coronavirus pandemic previously halted plans for a formal graduation ceremony, resulting in many cap and gowns to be enjoyed from the privacy of their own homes.

The ceremony is still subject to government guidelines and public safety guidance that may be in place at the time.

Claire Morgan stated: “The health and safety of our students and staff remains a priority”.

“Government guidelines will be continually under review and students will be updated on any changes that may have implications for the event dates set. Additional information will be sent to students in the coming months as plans develop.”

Invitations are expected to be sent to the 2020 and 2021 graduates in early 2022, whilst graduates of 2022 will receive their invitation in Spring 2022.

If you have graduated from an undergraduate degree and postgraduate degree in 2020, 2021 or 2022 the option will be given to attend both of your ceremonies or choose one.

As per previous celebrations, there is no fee for graduates to attend the ceremony and two free tickets will be allocated per graduate for friends and family. Given the size scale of the event there will be chance to purchase additional tickets, however the pricing for additional tickets is yet to be confirmed.

Further updates will be posted to Cardiff’s website here. 

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Uni cancelled our graduation so we took matters into our hands and made our own

Cardiff class of 2021 on the woes of having their final year during a pandemic

• Here’s everything you need to know about the NHS Covid Pass required to get into venues in Wales