A second year Cardiff University student has died

Tributes pour in for second year History student who died a week ago

Lily Arkwright, a second-year history student at Cardiff University, died last week on the evening of the 19th October.

The tragic news was shared with students by the head of the faculty, James Marcel-Hegarty, who said: “It is with immense sadness that I must inform you of the death of a fellow student. I have spoken to her family to offer my condolences.”

He also told students to “take the time and space you need at a time like this,”, and that “The School and University are also here to support you.” The email included multiple links to mental health resources.

Those who knew Lily have taken to Instagram to pay tribute to her stating she was a “smart, funny, life of the party kind of person.”

Her brother Jonty posted on her Instagram on the 20th October calling her, “an amazing person,” continuing to say “she achieved so much in this time.”

One of Lily’s friends, Alina, said she was the “sweetest little soul,” and that she was, “saddened and heartbroken.’

More of Lily’s friends paid tribute to her, saying: “Lily was one of the happiest, kindest and funniest people I’ve ever met.” Friends wrote posts calling her a “ray of sunshine” and said: “You weren’t here long enough.”

Cardiff’s School of History, Archaeology, and Religious Studies have announced a drop-in Zoom session for students seeking support in relation to the death. The Zoom drop-in for chaplaincy and counseling support for SHARE students will take place on Friday 30th October at 12 noon. The school stated that ‘this terrible event is challenging for everyone and you do not need to have known Lily to be affected by her death.’

In his Instagram tribute, her brother claimed that she never told of her “mental stresses or strains” and that “there is nobody to blame and nothing to blame.”

If you have been affected by the contents of this article you can find links to mental health resources below. Please reach out if you are struggling.

Cardiff University Student Support and Wellbeing: Follow for information on the support Cardiff has to offer through the Councelling, Health, and Wellbeing Team

Student Intervention Team: Email if you would like to talk through how you are feeling.

[email protected]

Mind Mental Health Organisation: Follow for support and information regarding mental health.