Cardiff police increase patrols following fourth sexual assault

The assault happened on April 22nd around 3am

The victim is undergoing support after the attack outside Cardiff University’s Union.

South Wales Police have increased patrols in the Cardiff city centre following a fourth reported assault in the last eight months.

Two weeks ago a 25 year old woman was reportedly assaulted outside by the Cathays bridge near the Student’s Union around 3am. Police were called to the scene.

Police at the scene of the crime

A spokesman for the union said: “Whilst Cardiff is a safe city, we want to emphasise the importance of taking sensible precautions when out at night. These include planning how you will get home before you go out, staying in pairs and groups while walking around at night, sticking to well-lit populated areas, and looking after friends.”

A spokeswoman for South Wales Police said: “The victim continues to be supported while detectives check CCTV and neighbourhood officers carrying out extra patrols.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 quoting occurrence 1600142305.