Bristol freshers are still planning ‘block parties’ despite threat of fines

‘I’m probably just going to chill in people’s rooms that aren’t in my living circle’

Incoming Bristol freshers are still planning block parties and to get wasted in halls as they approach their move into halls of residence next week.

Bristol University have tightened up on their “living circle” restrictions and are threatening freshers with an £800 fine if rules are broken.

As freshers begin their slow, socially distant move into halls this week, we spoke to a few who still plan to have block parties and hang out in people’s rooms. Here is what we know about how freshers are dealing with being a fresher during a global pandemic:

‘We are planning to have block parties and planning to hang out in people’s rooms’

One Badock Hall fresher will most definitely not be letting Boris’ rules get in their way. She told The Bristol Tab: “We are planning to have block parties and planning to hang out in people’s rooms. We still want to have the Freshers’ experience and so even if clubs are closed, we are still going to get drunk in halls.”

This fun-loving fresher also addressed the living circle situation and added: “I’m probably just going to chill in people’s rooms that aren’t in my living circle because I doubt people will be checking all the time but we will have to see if the Uni will allow it.”

‘No one wants to sit in a flat with just their living circle’

One fresher moving into Hiatt Baker catered Hall appeared hesitant to commit to night out plans because of Covid-19’s unpredictability. They told The Bristol Tab: “I’ve not bought any tickets for events yet because of the uncertainty of another lockdown” despite the ‘buy in confidence’ system that has been put in place by event companies.

This fresher is most definitely going to find ways to party, as she added: “Virtual events seem a bit dead, even though the Uni is trying. I think if freshers have friends in second or third year, they will spend a lot of time at their houses because no one wants to sit in a flat with just their living circle”.

‘A virtual Freshers’ fair seems dead’

This year Bristol Uni’s Freshers’ fair has adopted an alternative approach that is in accordance with the government’s social distancing regulations. Yes, a virtual Freshers’ fair.

One budding fresher appeared pessimistic when asked about a virtual Freshers’ fair and told The Bristol Tab: “A virtual Freshers’ fair seems dead. I probably won’t even log on to it virtually cause the best bit of freshers fair is seeing all the stalls and moving from one stall to the next all day, but I understand they are trying.”

Despite Covid- 19’s attempts to steal the lime-light from Freshers’ week fun, freshers are evidently still eager to get grooving at Grav as 80 per cent of the “Freshers Fortnight” wristbands have sold out already.

‘Me and my friends still want to go on nights out’

When questioned about plans for nights out, yet another fresher seemed persistent to contribute to a messy Freshers’ Week, despite their worries of being fined and told The Bristol Tab: “Me and my friends still want to go on nights out, it’s just whether we can with the new lockdown rules being introduced. If we break the government regulations and mix with people outside of our living circle we might get a fine which I defo won’t be able to pay!”

Follow The Bristol Tab’s Facebook and Instagram pages for the latest Bristol Uni news and updates!