Hogwarts Legacy Robbie Coltrane tribute

Hogwarts Legacy players have found a hidden tribute to Hagrid actor Robbie Coltrane

‘There’s no Hogwarts without you, Hagrid’

Hogwarts Legacy is a MASSIVE game with a huge map, and like most open world RPGs there are plenty of hidden secrets, nooks, crannies and easters eggs for players to discover when exploring – but usually none as moving and sweet as this one. Hogwarts Legacy players have found that the game developers put in a moving tribute to the late great Robbie Coltrane, the actor who played Hagrid in all of the Harry Potter films and who sadly passed away last October aged 72.

To find the Hogwarts Legacy tribute to Robbie Coltrane, players need to fly south on their broom from the Bell Tower Wing of Hogwarts towards the Gameskeeper Hut, which is on a cliffside near the Black Lake not too far away. Once you get there, you’ll be able to find a little grave stone with an engraving of Buckbeak, the hippogriff introduced in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Robbie Coltrane and Hagrid were both hugely well loved parts of the franchise, and it’s touching of the game to include such a tribute. Fans are now exploring feverishly to see if there are any other tributes to Potter actors, notably Alan Rickman – the actor who played Severus Snape.

Hogwarts Legacy has been controversial and has garnered criticism regarding transphobic remarks from franchise creator JK Rowling since 2020. Avalanche, the developers of the game, have said she is not involved at all – but it is likely since she owns the IP rights to the franchise that she will profit from the sales.

To learn more about transgender rights or lend your support, please check out the charity Mermaids in the UK.

Related stories recommended by this writer:

• Right, is Hogwarts Legacy going to get DLC in the future, or is the game complete?

• Explained: All the controversy around Hogwarts Legacy, and why gamers are boycotting

• A private school has dropped JK Rowling as a house name amid her anti-trans comments