trans-pride-2022-london

Over 20,000 people turned up to London’s Trans Pride 2022 and the pictures are iconic

Yasmin Finney from Heartstopper gave a passionate speech

Over 20,000 people descended on London this Saturday 9th July to take part in Trans Pride 2022.

Following the conclusion of Pride Month, LGBTQ+ attendees and allies paraded down from Wellington Arch all the way to Soho Square.

While the overwhelming sentiment was celebratory, the march felt more significant than ever given recent political developments such as the Tory government promising to ban conversion therapy but not for trans people.

Yasmin Finney, who plays Elle Argent in Netflix drama Heartstopper and was in attendance at the march, said in a speech: “If the government is trying to eradicate us, we’re all here, and we’re just duplicating, look at how many of us there are.”

She added: “Boris, I hope you see Heartstopper, I hope you see Doctor Who, because I exist, and I know you know I exist. We all exist, and we’re not going anywhere!”

Finney’s speech received a loud cheer, before attendees marched down the street, chanting: “trans rights are human rights”.

And of course the pictures of the march were iconic.

Trans Pride 2022: In pictures

Credit: Hesther Ng/SOPA Images/Shutterstock

london-trans-pride-2022

Credit: Vuk Valcic/SOPA Images/Shutterstock

london-trans-pride-2022

london-trans-pride-2022

london-trans-pride-2022

Featured image: WIktor Szymanowicz/NurPhoto/Shutterstock