Beautiful Cambridge was the perfect place to grow up

The nightlife may be terrible, but it’s so much more than that

Underneath the ideal of it being the pinnacle of higher education and the illusory image of the colleges and students, Cambridge is really the perfect place to come home to from university.

It’s been nine months since I officially left the city of Cambridge to hang around in Warwickshire instead, and I stand in stark contrast to those who shrug at any question or mention of their hometown, because despite spending most of my time away, I am obsessed with Cambridge.

Worth obsessing over, imo

Telling people I’m from Cambridge tends to result in something along the lines of “that explains why you’re so posh” (something I’ve entirely given up on arguing with) and the question “you must be really clever then!” at which point I’m forced to remind them that I’m not currently at Cambridge University.

The fact is, though, I adore Cambridge and I love coming back. Perhaps not being a student at the university helps, because I get to experience everything that’s so amazing about this city without feeling the same pressure that they do. Not to mention I still maintain the unique sense of entitlement that nearly every local feels, that somehow not being a Cambridge student means this city is mine to talk about and mine alone.

So, as an ode to my favourite place in the country, here are some of my favourite things about it.

It’s beautiful

This seems obvious but has a tendency to slip people by: Cambridge is, significantly more so than a lot of university cities in the UK, gorgeous. You can’t walk around town for more than ten minutes without seeing some kind of greenery, and sitting by the river watching bright eyed tourists punting is actually quite lovely.

If there isn’t a wall of bikes, is it really Cambridge?

There’s always something to do

I’ve lived here for years and I’m still discovering new places. Cambridge is full of slightly too hipster cafes, with new ones popping up constantly, where you can while away your hours drinking (admittedly overpriced) coffee and reading an intellectual piece of literature to signify that yes, you do belong here. Then you can walk around the aforementioned beautiful areas of Cambridge, pop into the thousands of shops and when evening rolls around you have your choice of bars and pubs. Possibly my favourite part of the city – you’re always within a ten minute walk of somewhere decent to have a drink, even if the clubs aren’t exactly fantastic.

The nightlife might be terrible, but it’s worth it

Objectively speaking, a night at Lola’s isn’t particularly special. Most of the time you’re surrounded by teenagers unironically chugging bottles of VK, and the floors are littered with broken glass, and occasionally you’ll stop and ask yourself “are they really playing Mr Brightside for the third time tonight?” But all that aside, a night out in Cambridge is something I absolutely endorse. The music might be generic, the drinks might be expensive and you’re not exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to clubs but nothing can beat two for one pitchers at the Regal before heading to one of your three clubbing options where you can dance to all the songs you pretend you don’t like but secretly do.

None of these old buildings have anything on Lola Lo, but they add to the charm

And just like everywhere else, the night ends with cheesy chips because Cambridge isn’t above that, despite the illusion of class and fanciness. All in all, Cambridge might have a reputation for being snobby, full of tourists and far too many chinos and blazers, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s perfect anyway.