The Tab Academy has launched, giving our best reporters official recognition and opportunities to work with major media groups.
Those reporters got to where they are because they really made the most out of their time at The Tab, constantly turning tips into scoops, going out and speaking to people and writing as much as they can.
We’re now offering you exclusive work experience placements at nationals, personalised post-graduate help and a formal certificate in journalism in recognition of your hard work.
We’re here to help you improve everything from your writing to your communication skills – building your portfolio and experience to help you break into the field when you graduate.
How do I get involved with The Tab Academy?
Academy members will demonstrate a clear understanding of The Tab and what being a reporter entails. Academy members won’t hesitate to go out and speak to people for a story, pick up the phone or knock on doors.
You become an official member of The Tab Academy when you have five stories published in a term.
What are the benefits of being in The Tab Academy?
• A formal certificate in journalism, recognised by major publishers and journalism programmes.
• The opportunity to apply for work experience at The Tab and be considered for placements at The Sun, SWNS, The Telegraph, The Sunday Times, The Big Issue and more. We currently have over 70 work experience slots available in 2016 to Academy members on a first come, first served basis – with many more internship opportunities on the way.
• A LinkedIn recommendation.
• Personalised post-graduate help, from tips on CVs and cover letters to interview techniques.
• Invitations to exclusive training events, where past speakers have included AA Gill, Harry Cole and Helen Lewis.
Two of the best Academy members will then be selected in May to spend two weeks in The Tab’s New York office, with flights and accommodation paid for. You’ll get the chance to help grow our teams over in the US, as well as getting to experience what the States has to offer. The internship will be in July.
Who are we working with?
Being part of The Tab Academy will give you a leg up when it comes to getting your name known in the media world. We are working very closely with The Sun, i, The Big Issue, SWNS and Business Insider to make sure they know who you are.
What major publishers say about The Tab
“The Tab Academy is a great platform for aspiring journalists. The opportunities on offer are invaluable, and any student hoping to become a journalist should seriously consider getting involved.”
–Tony Gallagher, Editor-in-Chief, The Sun
“The Tab are great because they combine brilliant professional support and education, with a voice which students enjoy and relate to. I have hired Tab journalists and taken them on work experience, because they are always prepared for the demands of online news”
– Luke Lewis, Editor, BuzzFeed UK