Trump’s targeting recreational marijuana because we can’t have anything fun, can we?

Here’s how it’ll affect you

The weed-loving world got an unpleasant surprise yesterday when Sean Spicer announced that the Trump administration will step up enforcement of federal marijuana bans in places where recreational pot use has been legalized — namely Alaska, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington, and the District of Columbia.

The statement marks a big shift in federal drug enforcement policy, which is typically focused on more serious issues like battling narcotics trafficking and opioid abuse.

During the Obama administration, no efforts were made to intervene in state-level pot legalization at all. “We have bigger fish to fry,” Obama once said of the issue. Now, according to Spicer, “you will see a greater enforcement of it” from the Justice Department.

If this seems like a weird thing for the new administration to worry about, that’s because it is.

In justifying the new enforcement agenda, Spicer tried to link marijuana use to the epidemic of opioid painkiller abuse that’s devastating many communities and causing an uptick in overdose deaths. “When you see something like the opioid addiction crisis blossoming around so many states…the last thing we should be doing is encouraging people.”

Not only is this idea that smoking pot will lead to opioid addiction the kind of thing you wouldn’t believe if you had, um, ever smoked pot before, but it’s also not backed up by science. Researchers have found no link between pot and opioid use, and many scientists believe that prescribing medical cannabis to patients with pain problems can actually reduce the risk of opioid abuse.

One group that’s going to get hit hard by the new crackdown on legal pot is women. The National Survey on Drug Use and Health found that 40% of pot users are female, and estimates that about 7.5 million women in the U.S. have smoked weed in the past month. This probably isn’t a surprise to you if you’ve ever seen one of your friends roll a perfect joint with a full acrylic manicure.

And evidence suggests that women are even more likely to use cannabis in places where its legal, meaning that the new policy could be even worse for lady stoners.

For their part, cannabis legalization advocates aren’t going anywhere. And pot industry entrepreneurs see women as an untapped market. Whoopi Goldberg has even started a line of cannabis products aimed specifically at women, on sale now in California.

Their first collection? A medical line aimed at relieving menstrual cramps.