Nobody asked for Instagram’s newest update, coming to an iPhone near you today

We’re getting too old for this

Instagram as we know it will never be the same, and literally no one is happy about it.

Single photo Instagram posts are a thing of the past, and Instagram slideshows are the shiny new boyfriend sliding in to steal the limelight.

Beginning in an update today, Instagram users can combine up to ten photos is one post, instead of uploading only one. For those who can’t decide between the “look back at it,” and the “half-face selfie,” this could be useful, but for everyone else, it’s just confusing.

According to an e-mail to Refinery29, Instagram product manager Yichen Wang told them, “This product was inspired by members of our community, who have told us that there are times they want to share more than just one moment from a memorable experience in their feed.”

This is apparently all part of the bigger plan to “add depth” to the Instagram experience – following the addition of Instagram stories, which were meant to provide a window into the Instagram user’s every day life – because Snapchat wasn’t already doing that.

Though I’m skeptical any depth can be added to a social media platform centered around advertising ourselves, and our lives, based on purely aesthetics, perhaps we will all fall in love with the new Instagram slideshow and in ten years we’ll look back and say “remember when you used to be able to only post pone photo at a time on Instagram.”