We posed as millionaires to view NY’s most exclusive apartments

They never asked if we had the cash

It was a quiet Thursday afternoon, so we did what any 20 year old with a Metro card and absolutely no shame would do: visit multi-million dollar apartments.

After explaining our intricate fake identities, the realtor finally showed us our potential apartments. The first three apartments we visited were in Trump Tower on the 37th, 38th and 58th floors and came complete with a view on Central Park.

Despite a distinct lack of Champagne, the realtors provided us with a private chauffeur and plenty of Perrier water to strut around red velvet corridors with. Sporting a feigned pretentiousness in the form of fake laughs and petty snobbery we were doing our best to fit in.

New home

Trump Tower, 5th Avenue

The first two were flats we saw were on at $6.5 million each and the third was two apartments put together for the bargain prince of $11 million.

Despite the slightly tacky interior of Trump Tower itself, the apartments were decorated with a tastefulness that increased concurrently with price as we moved higher and higher up the tower. The final show piece on the 58th floor was a long way from fully-refurbished but the finished product was imminent and looked exceptional

And I’d be lying if I told you we didn’t enjoy the view in all the flats.

Trump Tower? Check.

Flatiron District, Madison Park

Next, we headed (in a private car) to the Flatiron District. We visited the sales studio of what is set to be the second tallest skyscraper between Midtown and Downtown in one of the most sophisticated neighborhoods on the island. Behind the 777 feet high building project is Ian Bruce Eichner, an American real estate developer and founder of the Continuum Company, LLC.

The new ‘Flatiron’ skyscraper was designed by Interior Architect, Martin Brudnizki; Architect, Kohn Pedersen, and Landscape Architect, Oehme Van Sweden, and if you think those names seem European enough to deliver something truly exquisite, then you’re correct.

The building will have 83 residences with two apartments per floor, a 7th story granite facade and of course three elevators, so that residents don’t have to wait. The realtor explained that this is such a recurrent problem in other buildings that residents have resorted to ringing downstairs in advance to reserve their own elevator. The struggle is truly real.

We were shown models of what it’ll look like, alongside the prices of the residences, which was humbling to say the least. That said, if you’ve got a few million to throw around, a golf-simulator and basketball court probably become somewhat of an essential.

There’s also a cards and billiards room

The residence we were ‘looking to buy’ was a 2,169 square foot two bedroom on the 48th floor, on the market for only $8.3 million: an arguably reasonable price given the facilities and space compared with Trump Tower.

They asked if we were interested in the $38m penthouse but we explained our budget was a mere $14 million.

Yet, despite our meagre budget, the 48th floor flat looked pretty sweet. The duplex condo took in views of the North, East and the South and with 10ft ceilings as standard, the gallery office overlooking the living area below allows for incredible double-height floor to ceiling windows out of the living area, and the ability to turn the office into a DJ gallery for insane parties. The view from here is North East meaning you can take in the Credit Suisse Building and the Empire State from your sofa.

The kitchen was largely marble and featured everything your Mom would want: “Nanz hardware, Sub-Zero and Miele appliances, custom-designed cabinetry by Molteni including a high gloss white lacquer upper cabinetry and framed solid white oak lower cabinetry.” In student speak: some seriously good ovens and stuff, and some beaut cupboards.

The master bedroom was upstairs and looked Southeast towards the nearby East Village and glistening East River, and the bathrooms were stunning too.

Also, the front door has just been voted the most beautiful in the world.

Exceptional

Unfortunately, we ended up leaving with brochures, residences’ plans and a book on our way to catch the subway to go back to reality instead of a signed contract.

One day…