What do college Republicans think about Trump’s nomination?

‘He has leverage now to get something done about immigration’

GACR, or Georgia College Republicans, is a group of like-minded students that have banded together based on their party choice.

GACR consists of thousands of students throughout Georgia who are “fighting to preserve the great state of Georgia and the country.”

These passionate conservatives are also independent thinkers. With so many members, plenty of these students feel very differently about Donald Trump being the candidate selected for their party.

We asked a chairman and a student at the UGA chapter of GACR and the Treasurer of the organization how they felt about Trump’s presumed nomination.

Some of the executive board members and members of the UGA chapter of Georgia College Republicans. Credit: John Richards

Chairman for UGA College Republicans, Amber Webb, responded to a few questions about how she felt about Trump’s nomination.

How do you feel about the Trump nomination?

I feel that Trump’s popularity illustrates the widespread frustration and discontent of Republicans under a Democrat president for the past eight years, and his likely nomination is the result of a that frustration manifesting into feelings of being “fed-up” with not only liberal policies, but with Washington all together.

Does Trump’s nomination come as a shock? Explain why you think that or why you think he is a good candidate for the Republican party.

Quite honestly, it does not. Among many students, it is shocking, however if one explores the dynamics of American politics of the past couple of decades, it is clear why Trump is prevailing. Many adult Americans who are not millennials have seen decades of government corruption on both sides, and have become so fed-up with it, that this election cycle, they have chosen to support a non-conventional candidate who is unlike any candidate either party has ever nominated.

What issues that are a part of Trump’s platform do you connect with?

I connect with the issue of the current state of our nation’s economy—the dismal job market, paired with the movement of many jobs overseas is troubling. It is my hope that the American dream can be restored.

What are some important qualities that you think the President should have? How does Trump embody those?

Some important qualities that a President should have are: the ability to intelligently assess time-sensitive situations, exemplary reasoning and critical-thinking skills, ability to effectively negotiate, to name a few. Trump embodies the basics: projects images of strength, possesses an extensive background in managing large-scale operations, etc. However, his inability to articulate policies and refrain from resorting to discourteous language when discussing individuals he opposes, is without a doubt contributing to his incredibly high unfavorables.

J. Wesley Ross Jr. is the immediate past chairman of the Dalton State College Republicans and the Georgia College Republican’s Treasurer. He was just interviewed on Anderson Cooper 360. Donald Trump was not his favorite candidate, but now he has decided to get behind Trump for his party’s sake.

How did you feel when you found out Donald Trump would be the Republican nominee?

He wasn’t my favorite candidate, but I immediately knew that we, as a party, needed to unite around our nominee or we would suffer the same fate as the last two elections. That is why I fully endorse and stand behind Donald Trump for POTUS.

Do you think Trump is a strong nominee for the Republican party?

I believe he has many qualities that have ignited and brought forth a passion within the Republican Party. He isn’t perfect, but he is or nominee and I believe he can and will win November.

What policies of his do you support and which do you disagree with?

I support his economic and business background. I support the fact that he isn’t a socialist… Or Bernie Sanders. I disagree with his proposed ban on Muslims entering America, as a Christian I believe that we shouldn’t shut out people who don’t look like us or believe the same as we do. However, I recognize that this is a very dangerous time, and Radical Islam is at war with America.

Did you foresee Trump being the candidate of the Republican party?

No, with a 17 candidate field, my original candidate was Chris Christie. It was such a loaded field of candidates, that it was always hard to determine who our eventual nominee would be, but now Mr. Trump is our nominee and that is my main focus and should be the main focus of Republicans alike.

Do you see the Republican party changing as a result of Donald Trump’s nomination?

He has sparked debate within the party, that is for sure. However, we possess a broad spectrum of candidates that represent many different backgrounds and beliefs. The party itself is always a fluid being, but I believe the core principles of the party will outlive Donald Trump or anyone for that matter.

In what way do you think that, if Donald Trump becomes President, his policies could influence the state of Georgia?

Well, being from North Georgia, I have seen economic struggle first hand. When the recession hit, it hit close to home. Many of my family members lost their jobs and some of them are still struggling to find work. I think with Mr Trump’s business background, he has the ability to create jobs right here in Georgia.

How do you believe Donald Trump will fair with Georgia voters in the general election?

Georgia is a red state, and I don’t anticipate that changing. I think after the last eight years of Obama’s failed policies, hard-working Georgians are ready for change, and I think Donald Trump presents that change.

What made you passionate about getting involved in the Young Republicans? 

I have always had a servant’s heart, and I wanted to give back to the country I love. In 2014, I worked closely with David Perdue’s campaign for the United States Senate, Billy Kirkland and Chris Perkins kind of took me under their wing and showed me how to make a difference in politics. I’ve found you can be one of two people, someone who does something about the issues around them or someone who complains, I prefer to make a difference.

What are some important qualities that you think a President should have? How does Trump embody those?

I think that a good president needs to have strong leadership qualities and not be afraid to take a stand. Throughout his life he has shown that he has the ability to lead. His diverse business background gives him the experience needed to revitalize the American economy and return us to the days of Reagan and prosperity.

Jake Shumard, sophomore at UGA, reveals why he is a Republican

Jake Shumard is a current member of UGA College Republicans who feels similarly to Ross. Trump was not his favorite candidate, but he has gotten behind him, even though he doesn’t support all of his policies.

How do you feel about Trump’s nomination?

Populist message or not, I want the best for our country… Americans in large are desperate for something new. This is similar to the rise of Barack Obama however, in 2008 a small but vocal portion of America wanted something new, but, now in 2016 a majority of Americans are desperate for something new. Big difference. We want strength first… I and many, trust Trump with tax dollars way more than a city planner or a socialist whose wife ran a school into bankruptcy.

More negotiation is Trump saying, “we are going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it.” Again, nobody expects Mexico to pay for it. He has leverage now to get something done about immigration. In negotiation you always find the most extreme end, or most favorable situation for yourself and bargain from there. Lastly, we see in Trump an ability to really win minority votes. 44 percent of Latinos in Nevada? Come on, the GOP has never reached those numbers. 25 percent of African Americans polled nationally against Hillary Clinton? Populist message or not, I want the best for our country.

So do you believe that Donald Trump is the best candidate to lead your party?

I’m not sure if he’s the best one to lead the party from a conduct standpoint. I know that his bringing more people into our party from all walks of life than ever before and I align with the majority of his views… [I] agree with building a border wall, embargo expansion, and allowing many forms of torture on terrorists to get information, and I disagree with his isolationist policy.

Do you think that the rise of Trump will change the Republican party as a whole for years to come?

Trump wont effect the Republican party unless he wins. If he wins Republicans will be the party of the working class and wealthy patriots. The party will have the same views, but will accomplish their views.