Dear out-of-staters: A few things you should know

Come for the school, stay for the fried food and basketball

You might have already seen our list of things freshmen should know by now, but you out-of-state students have a few guidelines too.

So, from a Maryland girl to other non-NC natives, here are some things you should definitely experience at UNC.

For some of you, Cook Out is a new concept. You may not have heard of it before you came to UNC, but I am here to lead you out of that dark, dark place.

Cook Out offers a lot of good food for a cheap price. Most importantly, Cook Out milkshakes are some of the best creations on planet earth. Offering flavors such as strawberry cheesecake, Oreo and peach, the late-night spot is always the best place to go for a midnight craving. So by all means, hit them up.

Did you go to the state fair? Not only is the NC State fair a huge deal around here, but it is also a really fun time. Be open-minded and try some of those foods you didn’t know were even possible to fry. Ride the ferris wheel and take weird pictures with your game prizes.

Tragically, there are some areas in America that don’t have Chick-fil-A. In my city, we only had one Chick-fil-A within a 20-minute radius. But in North Carolina, there are so many locations, and they just taste better. So please visit the nearest Chick-fil-A and try some of those crispy chicken strips with a few containers of that Chick-fil-A sauce.

While we’re still talking about food, I should mention the importance of Bojangles’, or as some jokingly pronounce it, bo-HAHN-glays. Bojangles’ has what is called “cajun” fried chicken. It’s basically spicy chicken and goes perfectly with sweet tea, which, yes, is another uniquely North Carolina experience.

Just a warning, though – if you come from a Popeyes state, you will be forced to take a side. You cannot like both restaurants, so you must feel strongly about one.

Do you follow college sports? Because if you haven’t noticed, athletics at UNC are a pretty big deal, especially when it comes to the men’s basketball team. So out-of-staters, learn the names of No. 5 and No. 3. March Madness is a big deal around here.

Krispy Kreme is the most beautiful place on earth. It has hot-and-ready donuts that taste like joy. Unfortunately, the location on Franklin St. closed last year, so you’ll have to drive to Raleigh to pick up your free donuts on Talk Like a Pirate Day. Anything for a free dozen, am I right?

There is a lot to get used to at the wonderful University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. But once you do, you’ll better understand this wonderful, beautiful community.

UNC