We interviewed freshmen before and after Halloween on Franklin

‘There was a lot of puking in general’

Some memories are very dear to all of our hearts, like the first time you rode a bike or your first kiss. However, there is one memory to conquer all memories: your first Halloween at UNC.

We interviewed four freshmen before and after their first Heeloween to hear their expectations and how they felt after that special night.

BEFORE

Sara, Pre-Business

Matthew, Biology

Catalina, Political Science and Eastern and Slavic Studies

Mark, Undecided

What are you dressing as?

Sara: “A Victoria’s Secret Angel.”

Matthew: “A tourist.”

Catalina: “I’m a murder victim every year. I started when I was 12.”

Mark: “Shaggy.”

What are your plans?

Sara: “Pre-game parties, Franklin Street and then the frats. Hopefully I get wristbands for everything but we will see.”

Matthew: “I plan to go to a friend’s house party.”

Catalina: “Nothing for sure, just that I’ll probably go to Franklin Street with my friends and then walk around. I’m not sure what’s going on or where people will be.”

Mark: “Party with my fraternity.”

What is the coolest thing you’ve heard about Halloween?

Sara: “There are so many great costumes. Also, it’s just a ton of people on Franklin and a ton of fun.”

Matthew: “I heard that Franklin Street shuts down and everyone piles in.”

Catalina: “Probably Franklin Street, and the passion that UNC students have for the holiday.”

Mark: “That Franklin Street is shut down to cars.”

What is the scariest thing you’ve heard about Halloween?

Sara: “People putting things in drinks. There’s a lot of people here that no one knows.”

Matthew: “The scariest thing I’ve heard is the amount of police and RAs that will be out.”

Catalina: “The amount of people packing Franklin Street and the number of incidents in the past because of the crowding.”

Mark: “That’s when a lot more accidents occur.”

Anything else?

Sara: “My sorority sisters did a whole presentation about how to be safe for Halloween, including what to do if one of your friends possibly has alcohol poisoning, as well as apps that you can use to stay in touch with your friends during the night.”

Matthew: “I heard it is crowded and very chaotic but a ton of fun.”

Catalina: “I’ve heard that frat parties require wrist bands, but that sometimes girls can get in and that often people photocopy others’ wristbands to get in.”

Mark: “I’ve heard the police are stricter and have the right to approach you and check you.”

AFTER

Was the experience what you expected?

Sara: “It was definitely as crazy as I thought it would be. Even if something didn’t happen to me, it happened to someone. Trying to get into Little Frat Court, I was crushed. It was definitely what I expected.”

Matthew: “Yeah, I was able to go to the frats that I wanted. It was a fun night.”

Catalina: “We left at around 9pm and then we went to Franklin Street and walked around there. Then we went to a frat party for a while. Then they went to the concert at Little Frat Court, but I couldn’t get in so I went to B’Skis to eat.”

Mark: “It was more crazy than I thought it would be. It’s my first year at Carolina so I didn’t know what to expect at all. I knew there would be a lot of people but I didn’t know it would be shoulder to shoulder.”

Did you hear any crazy stories about Halloween experiences?

Sara: “There was a lot of drug use – lots of first experiences. Not me, but people I know. Lots of cocaine, but I wasn’t super surprised because it’s Halloween.”

Matthew: “I’ve heard a lot of crazy stories about friends who got too drunk or passed out.”

Catalina: “A couple of people got taken away by EMS, but I expected that.”

Mark: There was a lot of puking in general amongst my friends, but no crazy individual experiences.

How was Franklin Street? Did it meet your expectations?

Sara: “I didn’t make it to Franklin Street but I loved the costumes at the parties.”

Matthew: “It definitely met my expectations. It was very packed and a lot of fun to be on.”

Catalina: “It wasn’t as crazy as I expected. I mean we got there early but there were more people when we went back later. Still not as many as I thought. There were as many cops and firefighters as I expected, but some of my friends were surprised.”

Mark: “Franklin met my expectations. There was a lot of activity, music and people running around.”

Were there any costumes that stood out to you?

Sara: “A pledge had to dress up as Jorgen Von Strangle from the Fairly Odd Parents and it was so funny.”

Catalina: “There were a lot of people dressed as cats. Lots of Donald Trumps. I don’t know, it was pretty dark.”

Mark: Coolest costume I would say was a group I saw who dressed up as Mario Kart characters. They ran through the crowd like they were actually in a race. One of my friends went as a police officer and I thought she was a real police officer for a second.”

If you had to explain Halloween to an incoming freshman, how would you? Do you have any advice?

Sara: “Have fun but don’t have too much fun. That’s what my mom told me.”

Matthew: “I would say it is definitely a lot of fun and they shouldn’t have any problems if they use a little common sense.”

Catalina: “I would describe it as hot and sticky and dark but kind of a tradition. You should at least try it once. I would encourage people to try it and if you don’t like it, you can go home next year.”

Mark: “Be sure not to do anything stupid on Franklin Street – there are a lot of cops around. Also, dress warm.”

UNC