Artistic interpreters present a performance of ‘love’

No restrictions, no rules

On November 20th, Mauve Khluumahj (Rose Martin and Ben Porter) will be hosting the first in a series of theme-based performances.

What kind of performance? Well, that’s up to the artistic interpreters to investigate, and the audience to decide. Like I said: No restrictions, no rules.

Even the performers themselves are unsure of what the other performers involved will be presenting, so you’ll have to come to find out.

What I can tell you however, is that this group of artistic collaborators understands the desire for informal explorative art, and that is what they intend to provide.

In a conversation earlier this week, Ben spelled it out for me: “We want to break down the conventional performance practice ideas while also merging all art forms in a cool, positive, creative setting.”

By participating and sharing in the creation of music and art, we choose to recede for a moment from selfish concerns and pursue harmony with those around us.

These six interdisciplinary artists have been tasked with interpreting a performance-specific theme in a 15 minute window. And for this first performance in the series, the theme will be love.

If you have ever been to a Concert Hall event at this University you understand how strict and tense they can be – nervous performers presenting themselves individually in silent rooms with uncomfortable set changes, and timid audience members unsure of when to clap.

However, this performance is being offered in contrast to that. There is no order, and there are no limitations. Everything has been stripped down to make this a super safe and accessible artistic environment for everyone involved – audience members included.

It is the goal of these artists to create an intimate and free artistic environment where all disciplines can be expressed and enjoyed.

It’s not just music you’ll be getting. It’s up to the discretion of each individual artist how he or she will chose to portray Love.

All artists involved would like to give a shout out to the Student Union Art Gallery for making this possible, and invite you to share in their creations this Friday at 8.30pm.

UMass Amherst amherst umass umass amherst