How election viewing parties at UCLA reacted to Trump’s win

Anger, laughter and disbelief

Last night the nation witnessed history as Donald Trump was elected the Leader of the Free World.

It was an extremely tight race, and tensions were understandably high throughout the evening. The vote wasn’t officially called until 11:31 PST.  Trump was received with jubilant cheers from his supporters, but those that opposed him quickly turned to protests and riots. And it’s understandable why they would be upset.

Think about it for a moment: Donald. J. Trump. Is our president.

The majority of young people did not, and will not, support this. This was not the workings of our generation that championed Sanders and Clinton. And at UCLA, a school filled with young California liberals, you can feel the uneasiness.

Students parade anti-Trump t-shirts at the viewing party

At one election watch party last night, as the results rolled in, the whole atmosphere transformed from excited hope to shock and outrage. Students were visibly and vocally upset long before the election was called.

Carlo Dela Rosa, a first year civil engineering major said, “It’s absolutely appalling how close it is. I didn’t think this would happen. The phrase ‘President Trump’ is gag-worthy! I mean, I was raised in California, so I guess everything outside of California is different.”

The visceral reactions to Trump’s early lead

California was one of the states that Clinton received electoral votes for, but Rebecca Ki, a second year Communications major, couldn’t help but voice her disgust with the entire country.

“You can never underestimate how much America hates people of color, women, and the LGBT community. It’s one thing to think those things, and it’s another to act on it or see it happening right in front of you. None of us thought this would happen, but then the silent majority comes in to elect a misogynist, racist piece of shit,” she said.

First year music performance major Daniel Popov added, “It’s unfair how this country is split down the middle. We need to do a better job uniting everyone. I’m just in shock right now.”

The country is split in multiple ways: not only between Trump vs. Clinton supporters, but also across a large generation gap. Across the board, the majority of Americans aged 18-25 voted for Clinton.

While this could offer hope of a more tolerant future generation, there are those that are worried about what is to come. Ian Romanas explained, “I have never in my life been as scared for the future as I am right now. I am actually concerned for the well being of America.” The first-year mechanical engineering major added, “I’m in the ROTC, so I’m scared for what I’m going to have to do under him [Trump] as president.”  

If anything sums up the feelings surrounding the results, it’s disbelief. As Trump’s polls climbed, the jaws of our students dropped.

“I don’t understand how any self-respecting woman could support someone who excuses the objectification of women with ‘locker room banter,'” an anonymous student said. “Not even objectification, but assault. It’s a crime” This, of course, refers the Trump’s “grab her by the pussy” statement that surfaced late in the election season.

Samantha Rubin-Pope, a first-year marine biology major was similarly outraged. “How is it possible that news organizations got it so wrong? There is such an enormous discrepancy from what the media projected and what’s happening,” she said. “Every single organization got it wrong – what happened? I’m just bewildered.”

Today, much of the same sentiments are being expressed all over campus. The heated conversations, the melancholy faces, and the early morning protests all attest to this: Donald J. Trump is not UCLA’s president.

UCLA