Every reason we need a Samantha Jones spin-off

Kim Cattrall, stop playing with us and make this shit happen

In a world where Cheeto-colored reality show stars become our president-elect and women are now being denied the right to an abortion, the reemergence of an iconic feminist character like Samantha Jones may be exactly what we all need.

The inimitable, over-the-top, sex-positive New Yorker graced our television screens for six years on HBO’s Sex and the City (not to mention the subsequent movies and re-runs) and we need Kim Cattrall back in our lives as Samantha Jones, the fearless 50-something year old who doesn’t care what anyone thinks of her.

After reports of a possible spin-off show with Kim Cattrall, SATC fans like myself couldn’t help but imagine what might happen if this dream became a reality and Sam was unleashed on the year 2017. Here a few of the things we hope — nay, demand — any spin-off feature.

A glimpse into the new NYC

Changes are great when you’re Samantha Jones because you know how to adapt to situations in Samantha Jones fashion. New York City has greatly changed since we last saw her walking fabulously with the rest of the SATC squad.

There’s new people who have moved to Manhattan and we all want to see how she handles herself in the new New York. Who knows, maybe she’s even abandoned her Meatpacking District pad for something in — gasp! — Brooklyn.

Her interactions with the new generation of women

Samantha Jones was more than just a sex-driven character — in fact, she was without a doubt the character who most obviously didn’t need any man to help her find success or happiness. That’s why a powerful woman like her would be the perfect mentor to young women if she had a spin-off show.

And while in the first couple of seasons, the SATC gang were often kind of weird and competitive with younger women, we think perhaps these days Sam might have mellowed and would be ready to take on a mentoring — rather than competitive — role.

Her pioneering attitude about sex

Sex is great. Sex is “dickalicious,” as Samantha might say. But often enough, young women are called sluts or whores because of their sex lives. But as Samantha memorably said, “I will not be judged by you or society. I will wear whatever and blow whomever I want as long as I can breathe — and kneel.”

Countless people associate women’s sex life with their work life and that’s complete nonsense. Samantha became the powerful PR woman she was on the show and managed to have an amazing sex life at the same time. She has no shame with being who she is nor should she ever stop being fabulous.

We need this in 2017, we need Samantha Jones and her refreshingly honest (if a bit over-the-top) attitude about sex back in our lives.

More of her dgaf feelings towards men’s expectations

In one of the episodes of SATC, Samantha was told that it was a time for a wax by a man who she was having sex with.

“It’s my week between waxes and I have three errand hairs and this asshole thinks I’m George of the jungle. And you should see the bush on him, I need a weed wacker just to find his dick. We need to run to the hot waxer every other week but them? How would they like it if we told them to shape their heads, trim their trunk?”

Although some might think Samantha Jones is not a perfect role model for women (to be fair, who among us is?), she definitely deserves more recognition for empowering women with quotes like this. Many viewers like myself could relate to Samantha and her frustration with the double standards between men and women.

Perhaps, in the year 2017, she might even decide to stop waxing altogether.

A cameo by Smith Jerrod

“I love you, but I love me more.”

It’s funny how a couple of words could hold so much meaning. It was those words that have inspired millions of SATC viewers with Samantha’s self-empowerment and courage to leave the love of her life for own happiness.

She knew she loved Smith, but at last our queen had to remain true to herself. I could speak for everyone when I say we would want to see a Smith appearance in a spin-off show since he was Samantha’s white knight, even though she doesn’t need or want anyone saving her.

Samantha Jones as a godmother

Every SATC fan knows Samantha Jones was fabulous on the show as the powerful public relations woman who chose not to have children. Women are always expected to have children, but Samantha Jones was the perfect example for all women that truly not everyone is meant to be a mother, and that’s more than OK.

However, could we just imagine her as a godmother to Charlotte’s future adopted child (or Miranda’s now-teenage son) and how she would handle it?

A major reaction to our new president-elect

We all know our newly-elected president has said many degrading things about women, but what many people don’t remember is that Donald Trump once made an appearance on SATC. (Oh, and Mr. Big was also referred to as “the next Donald Trump” at one point, but that’s an entirely different story.)

Can we all just imagine for a second the way Samantha would react to today’s Trump and his disturbing win as president? We’re expecting Samantha would be the first one to protest outside of Trump Tower — in her oversized hat and sky-high heels, no less.

An SATC soulmate reunion

Sex and the City would not be the iconic show that it was without the friendship and love that came from these four gals. We laughed, cried, screamed at our televisions screens each time a guy screwed one of them over, but in the end they always had each other’s back. It was that same love for each other that we need from a spin-off show with Samantha Jones because without her soulmates, New York City just wouldn’t be the same.

Temple University