Former Temple president might be heading to University of Northern Iowa

Theobald may be trading the cherry and the white for the purple and the gold

Temple University students were surprised when President Neil D. Theobald resigned over the summer, and now, just a few months later, he is a top candidate for University of Northern Iowa’s president.

It’s odd he would be a top contender for president of another school when his decision to leave Temple University came after the Board of Trustees decision to fire him due to the large financial-aid cost overrun. Our former provost Hai-Lung Dai was removed as well.

A statement by the Board of Trustees revealed Temple’s financial aid deficit as well as who was responsible for it:

“The board’s decision is based in part on the events that led to the removal of Hai-Lung Dai as university provost on June 28, 2016. Specifically, the board concludes that the issues arising from the discovery of a $22 million deficit in the university’s financial aid budget ultimately were the responsibility of President Theobald, and that he must be held accountable.”

Philly.com reported Theobald had known about the deficit a year ago. After his resignation, Richard. M Englert was appointed as the acting president on July 21st and he is now our current president.

Theobald would have less to worry about transitioning from North Philadelphia to Cedar Falls, Iowa.

Not only would he only have 13,201 students to worry about, but the tuition is also only 6,648 a year – hopefully there wouldn’t be too many opportunities for mismanagement.

Temple University