Rutgers stabbing suspect charged with attempted murder

The perpetrator was previously enrolled in the Rutgers Business School

All of Rutgers was at a standstill on Friday afternoon when a stabbing took place at the Rutgers Business School building on Livingston campus. Altogether, two people were stabbed “without provocation”, one of them being a student and the other, a faculty member. The perpetrator also sustained self-inflicted injuries.

According to a Rutgers University Police Department e-mail, the perpetrator has been identified as 25-year-old Joshua S. Thompson. The Mountainside, N.J. native was enrolled at the Rutgers Business School in September of 2013, but is believed to have dropped out.

The man in question is currently in custody and has been charged with two counts of attempted murder, possession of a weapon (knives) for an unlawful purpose, and unlawful possession of a weapon (knives). His bail is set at $1,000,000.

In addition to his current charges, it has been found that these events are not the first time Thompson has been involved in criminal activity. In early 2011, Thompson was charged with two counts of battery assault on a police officer at West Virginia University where we was previously enrolled.

The two victims as well as Thompson were taken to a local area hospital Friday afternoon where they have continued to remain in stable condition.

Rutgers University