BREAKING: Stabbing at Business School causes lockdown on Livi

The suspect is currently in custody

A stabbing occurred at the Business School at approximately 2:45P.M. according to a text issued by the Rutgers alert system.

The alert urged students to stay to away from Livingston campus after stabbings occured on the 5th floor of the Business Building. Shortly after the alert was sent out, Livingston campus was on lockdown, and the Business School was evacuated.

Eyewitnesses report that there were at least two victims, but police have not yet corroborated this information.

Tara Reid, 21, was in the Livingston Student Center during the lockdown. “Staff are standing at the doors of the Livingston Student Center stopping students from exiting. It is unknown when the lock down will end. Students are still walking around outside and we can see them from the windows,” she said.

A student in the Business School named Kevin Lyons, 20, said, “I was just sitting in the room doing homework [with] headphones on listening to music. The two police officers opened the door, looked in and went back to the hallway, so I figured I was at least safe being in that room. Then somebody came and told me they were locking down the building so my class for the next period was cancelled.”

Priya Pamnani, 18, and Sameera Ganapathiraju, 18, were both headed to Livi for an exam and were unsure what to do despite the RU alert sent out. “I don’t know if I should be scared, but I have this exam,” said Pamnani.

Another Rutgers alert was issued at approximately 3:30P.M. that read, “actor in custody. Area is safe. Police investigation ongoing.”

There has been no comment made by the RUPD.

Classes are expected to be cancelled for the rest of the day.

Updated Friday, November 4th at 4:50P.M.

Rutgers University has issued a statement on Facebook saying that there are three individuals that are being treated for their injuries, including the suspect.

We will be updating this story as it progresses. 

Rutgers University