President Barchi announces 2016 commencement will be live-streamed due to limited seating

Students who are not graduating will not be accommodated

If you were among the hopefuls who were planning to camp out to see President Obama speak at graduation this year, we have bad news for you.

President Barchi just sent out an email announcing this year’s commencement will not be open to the public. Although past commencement ceremonies have been open to all, the University is anticipating the White House will request further restrictions on seating speculating the stadium will reach capacity.

Barchi also announced he will ‘invite at least some of the seniors’ of the Rutgers-Newark and Camden to attend the ceremony.

In the email Barchi wrote: “While I wish that High Point Solutions Stadium could hold a larger crowd, we will not be able to have additional members of the Rutgers University–Newark and Rutgers University–Camden communities attend the ceremony at the stadium in person.  Similarly, we will not be able to accommodate members of the Rutgers–New Brunswick and RBHS communities who are not receiving a degree. “

In order to witness the historic event together, the University will be live-streaming the event at central locations on campus:

• Paul Robeson Campus Center at Newark
  • Camden Campus Center
  •  Livingston, Busch, and College Avenue student center

In addition to live-streaming the event on the Commencement website.

Barchi added: “We will be working with the White House on the details of President Obama’s participation and the logistics surrounding it, and we will share information with you as soon as we have it.”

Rutgers University