BREAKING: Man charged with murder of Rutgers student

Shani Patel was killed on Sunday

Marcus Feliz, a 25-year-old man from Newark, was charged with the murder of Shani Patel, the student killed Sunday at the Rutgers-Newark campus. According to patch.com, Feliz was taken into custody and charged with murder, felony murder, and robbery, with a bail set at $750,000 by Superior Court Judge Michael Nelson.

Detectives started their investigation of the murder around 10 p.m on Sunday. Police went to the apartment of the shooting and found drugs and money at the scene. Drugs and money were found at the scene, which authorities believed was a result of a robbery, according to nj.com. Patel, a 21-year-old Economics student, had a troubled past, and had been sentenced to two years probation last year after being indicted on a charge of third-degree marijuana possession with intent to distribute, and fourth degree possession of marijuana.

Rutgers-Newark chancellor, Nancy Cantor released this statement: “While law enforcement is still investigating and weunderstand that it was not a random act that led to Shani’s death, it is a shock to lose a member of our community under any circumstances. We have different ways of dealing with such a loss, so we remind all members of our community that we have counseling services available.

“I remind you that any member of our community who would like support may come to the Paul Robeson Campus Center, room 302, all day until 5 p.m. today and tomorrow, or may call 973.353.5063. Employees also may contact Rutgers Human Resources/Faculty Staff & Assistance Program at 848.932.3956.

“Our deepest condolences go out to Shani’s family and to all who knew him as a student, colleague, or friend.”

Rutgers University